Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:16 AM   #1

Default A stitch in time - backyard timelapse

Hello Biweekly Shoot Out friends

I'm so glad about this challenge, I love this type of photography!

Prepared my trusty Canon 350D with my Sigma 10-20mm set at 10mm. I then mounted this on my study Manfrotto tripod, and placed it in one part of my back yard, under a table with a waterproof cover. It was there for over a day - from the beginning of 1 evening to the end of the evening the following day.

Thankfully the day between was cloudy, so it made for some dramatically different skies, shadows and colours. I really just love seeing the changes that nature gives us in a space of time, e.g. a day.

For this post I've selected 3 photos, but you can full more (and higher quality images at the picasa link). I think it works well by viewing in full screen and setting slideshow with 2 or 3 seconds between each photo.
http://picasaweb.google.com/1974.pau...yardTimelapse#

#1 - Day 1 @ 20:26 - around sunset - I appreciate the silhouette of this south aspect part of my back yard. I also like the colour in the sky

#2 - Day 2 @ 08:26 - morning (exactly 12 hours later than previous photo) with the sun morning shining clearly

#3 - Day 2 @ 21:30 - 2nd evening, the trail of light is actually a plane passing over my property (quite rare, usually the flight path is farther south)

Warm regards & best wishes!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:32 PM   #2

How about a composite of all 3 shots?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:49 PM   #3

Nice one, thanks Bynx.

I was thinking of doing a HDR with 3 shots taken closer in time frame, but your composite of the 3 shots (spanning over 24 hours) is an interesting take.

Intriguing outcome, I would have thought the photo would be lighter, but it makes sense (2 of the 3 are quite dark!) It has an eerie feeling to it, imho, with the foreground grass slightly lit up.....

Thanks.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:07 PM   #4

It probably would have been lighter but I played with my layers so the foreground was light enough to see the grass. But I didnt want to get into the details of the clothes line and building roof. I left that as dark as needed to be. And its that eerie look that I wanted.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote