Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1
daz

Default Wind - Sailing

The weather around here for about the last month, to put it politely, has been lousy. As a rule I donít have much use for sail fuel as I find it detrimental in its effect (especially in large quantities) for most things. Sailboats on the other hand seem to like it. They seem to go out looking for the stuff.

This is on Lake Union in Seattle. The day was rainy, windy and cloudy. As the weather was so stormy I only used my most weather resistant camera equipment. I also only took one lens and did not change it because of all the wind and rain. With the weather like this the boats also stayed farther from shore.

As this is a digital B&W it has by its definition a large amount of PP so here is both the B&W and the original color version.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2

Well done under difficult condions. I like the PP, with the bumped-up contrast.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3

Nice. They really "show" the wind.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:35 PM   #4

The b&w was a great idea for this photo. The color version does not do your subject justice!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:46 PM   #5
daz

Thanks everyone for the comments. I think it is very much a Christopher Cross moment.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:21 PM   #6

In that first shot, my first thought was that is was a selected color image with the boat in color and the background in BW. This is an illusion apparently caused by the boat being very sharp and the background, soft.

Anyway, I like the BW version more than the color. It seems to have more "life" to it.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote