Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:01 PM   #1

Default Polariser - lake reflection

Hello All

Here are two photos taken from the top of a water fall... looking down on the lake at the bottom.

I think these 2 photos of mine illustrate the difference a circular polariser (CPL) can make in situations like this. Noon time at summer, so the sun was quite high in the sky.

1. Without CPL 'engaged' (it was 'on' the camera, but not rotated to affect the reflections or the light).
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:03 PM   #2

Default #2

2. With the CPL engaged (that is, it was now rotated to affect the reflections and the light).

Note the marked absence of the water reflection compared to the first shot. There are only a few seconds difference between these 2 photos.

(Ok, the composition and scene are not fantastic, but this shows the polariser 'water reflection' effect quite strongly).

Warm regards

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:03 PM   #3

Hi Paul, great experiment. Of the two photos, however, I only see the first one, without the polarizer. Am subscribed to the thread now, so I'll be waiting on pic number 2.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:06 PM   #4

Wow! That was fast! Yes I can see a HUGE difference in the two photos. I really like the second one. Even the sand seems whiter, or it may be my monitor. Anyway, right now I have a cpl 52mm, and no lens to fit it on. I need 55mm for my two main lenses. I wonder if the camera store will take a trade-in?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:38 PM   #5

Polarizers do seem to do strange things at times. Take out the reflection of the sky and the water goes to black - very interesting! Also, the green foliage looks much greener by taking out the reflected light. Very good examples.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Great job. In this case, though it clearly illustrates what a polarizer can do, I don't like the way the water was turned black. Perhaps setting the polarizer somewhere between minimum and maximum effect would produce a more pleasing photo.

As I indicated on another posting, I am learning here along with everyone else. That was the idea.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:06 AM   #7

Thanks all for your posts.

It's very kind of you to write, and I'm glad to read your reflections (pun intended) on the 2 photos... with and without circular polariser effect.

Indeed, I could alter the amount of 'reflection' by not rotating the CPL filter a full 90 degrees. Maybe I'll do that another time.

It's also handy when taking photos of water sports events (eg kite surfing which I've done some of, or normal surfing, swimming, etc) to reduce the amount of reflection, even at 'wave' level of the ocean.

As Robert wrote about the 'sand' (it's actually brick / rock / road - but just light coloured) and mtngal wrote about the 'foilage' - yes a polariser can change that (colous, hue and exposure a bit).

Regards from Australia.

Paul
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:42 PM   #8

Again, I prefer the first image... this is not criticism, but the question for me is what we are trying to accomplish with the filter. I LIKE reflections in water, but there are times when removing them adds to the image. More grist for the mill.

Interesting challenge Cal! Sorry that I have nothing to contribute other than my eye
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote