Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:26 AM   #1

Default Magic/Golden Hour: Early one Morning

One of my earlier comments about not waking up early isn't always true.
Here's are two archival shots taken approximately one hour after sunrise at a nearby beach on Christmas morning several years back.

The first shows a few hardy souls taking in the early morning sunrise at a fairly secluded beach. Note the very long shadow cast by the girl standing. The second gives a closer shot of the girl. Both taken using a Sigma 300mm lens. The first shot taken at 28mm and the second about 120mm.

Last edited by selvin; Jul 3, 2011 at 2:29 AM. Reason: Add comment
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:48 AM   #2

Excellent Selvin, paradise was looking pretty good on this morning! Are you sure you miss the midwest???????????

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Does your wife know about that second shot?

These are beautiful shots but they don't seem to show the colors of the golden hour.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:52 PM   #4

Folks thank for your comments.
Bob,

I miss the Mid West so much haven't been back in ten years. Actually been thru O'Hare several times on the way to New York.

Calr,
The lack of a Golden color was probably due to the fact that this area is largely shielded from the direct rays of the sun in the morning and the the warm colors so typical of our sunsets just doesn't appear here. Got several very early morning shots from here over the years and they are all very soft light but have little golden color.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 7:02 PM   #5

Hi Selvin

Wow, I love the perspective of that first photo with the unmistakeable look of your part of the world in the first photo (with the beach that island in the distance).

I understand what you mean about the golden colours not necessarily coming out, even at 'golden hour' (I think that's a lot to do with other geographical aspects, eg latitude, air quality and amount of reflection from water / sky.)

I'm somewhat curious - you wrote 'Both taken using a Sigma 300mm lens. The first shot taken at 28mm and the second about 120mm.' How is that possible? Or did you mean a Sigma zoom lens (or one that goes from xxmm - 300mm?)

Thanks for sharing! The girl on the beach looks great and I trust enjoying the moment.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:12 AM   #6

Paul,

Yes, you are right I should have posted it as a Sigma 28-300mm Zoom.

Thanks for commenting. Selvin
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:46 PM   #7

Glad to know that the golden hour doesn't always cooperate at other places in the world. I was out shooting this morning and while the light cooperated for a few minutes, it quickly got too cool to be called "golden hour".
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Does your wife know about that second shot?

These are beautiful shots but they don't seem to show the colors of the golden hour.

Cal
Cal... it might be that Selvin's wife knows about the 2nd shot... but she certainly doesn't know about the 3rd shot (at 300mm)... now that we've established he had a zoom lens on his camera... lol!

Just joking!

Selvin, thanks for confirming what lens. I would like to visit your part of the world one day (particularly for the landscape, seriously!)

Aloha

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote