Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1

Default Convergence - Roads

Two roads converge an a mountain ridge (all right, that's not how it goes at all, but it's what came to mind).

These aren't straight lines, but they are roads converging on a central spot. I've been having trouble with this whole idea of convergence (and it's opposite, divergence) and perhaps this is really stretching it.

Right now our local area is pretty hot and dry, rather desolate. About the only thing not brown is chaparral/brush, and I wouldn't call it pretty. It looks like its shaping up to be a very long summer.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:46 AM   #2

That's definitely convergence!

Looks like fun trails to ride, too!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:25 AM   #3

Hi mtngal,

Yes I can see the unusual convergance you refer to in your photos above.

We've heard about the US having a hot bit of weather lately - and hoping that some relief would come - particularly for those who struggle with heat (eg elderly, already ill, those who can't affording air-conditioning, etc)

Your landscape looks a bit similar to what it can look like here in South Australia in our summers!

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:22 PM   #4

Right now our area isn't as bad as other parts of the country. Part of what concerns me is that the spring was pretty wet so we had a lot of grass grow - it's now gone to seed and completely brown so this year has the potential to be a long fire season. And yes, I would imagine that South Australia would be similar to our area, though perhaps at a lower altitude?

Jeannie - these trails aren't that long, but they are pleasant to drive and ride. There's some old, abandoned roads that are now closed to anything but foot traffic, for the most part they aren't on any maps and are largely unknown that lead off of them. Makes for some pleasant spots for solitude during most of the year as the dirt-bikers stay on the trails (and there's a couple of really difficult ones) and there aren't all that many of them that find their way over to this spot. I avoid the area in fall as it's popular with the hunters.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:40 PM   #5

Mtngal,

When you said "roads" I kept looking for something paved and then BINGO! The first shot is a interesting interpretation of the theme convergence but I don't quite think what Calr had in mind. the second definitely fits the bill.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:40 PM   #6

And here I was thinking the first one was a better example - the two roads converging (one on right and one on left) are at least straight at this point. I tried taking the picture with a fisheye to get more of the roads but that just accented the rather ugly brush in the center. I also tried to photograph the two roads from just about the curve, but I was downhill and the two roads either turn or go down a bit from the fork, so it wasn't as obvious that there were two roads coming into one (or diverging, depending on your point of view). The funny thing is that I wasn't sure others would be able to make out the multiple roads converging in the second, since there's a sort-of circle in the center.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Mtngal,

Keep in mind that earlier Calr said okay to a set of colored poles converging like a teepee submitted by Walter C. Your novel interpretation of convergence in the first shot could be okay by Cal's definition.

In any event don't despair... The dry dusty conditions you show in your shots are also evident even here in paradise in some areas. A few years of low rainfall in some areas does that to us since we don't have any snow pack to melt or large rivers.

Ciao
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote