Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:42 PM   #1

Default Birds: V of pelicans (with macro lens)

Hi friends

I've seen many beautiful photos so far already. This is nothing spectacular in comparison but hopefully next weekend I can get some better photos.

Here are 2 photos when I was in my back garden on the weekend afternoon, doing some work in my vegetable patch (putting in 'late winter / early spring' vegies).

I had my camera with me and a magnificent V of pelicans came gliding directly overhead. I had my macro / close up lens on my camera - so though it wasn't the ideal lens, I managed to take a few shots... I'll never forget the seeing them gliding gracefully, slowly above me.

Hope you enjoy viewing the pics. The photos almost look B&W, though it is colour! (A grey afternoon it was!)

Your comments appreciated!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:44 PM   #2

Default #2

And here is another photo of that group of pelicans... and they continued sailing away into the distance.

I'm glad my macro lens (and camera settings) allowed quick focus and to capture these birds... even though I would have preferred my 70-300mm L

Cheers, friends. Please let me know what you think....

Paul
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:20 AM   #3

WOW, I never knew they flew in a "V" formation like ducks and geese...!

Cool shots...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:22 AM   #4

Hi Wizzard0003, thanks for your kind comments.

I've seen pelicans fly in formation before, but never in as large a number, nor as 'perfect' a v as this.

The first photo almost looks like I cloned them next to each other in the sky, but I assure you - that is how they really were (no post processing cheating!)

It certainly was a spectacular sight.

regards

Paul
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:42 PM   #5

like the second and the way its a perfect V
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:02 PM   #6

Love the second one. Are these brown pelicans? I've never seen them fly in formation either (though I'm usually seeing them at the beach, where they aren't really going anywhere except for hunting food).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:12 AM   #7

I like the first one best -- the birds are more recognizeable at a glance, with their wings seemingly too far to the rear of their body. And they just seem more massive in that one. Clone out the roof and it would be excellent.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
like the second and the way its a perfect V
Hello wave01

Yes, they do a great job in staying 'in formation', symmetrical and looking so relaxed while doing it. A bit like synchronised sports (eg swimming, dancing, etc).

Thanks for your kind comment.

Paul
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Love the second one. Are these brown pelicans? I've never seen them fly in formation either (though I'm usually seeing them at the beach, where they aren't really going anywhere except for hunting food).
Hi mtngal

Thanks for your question. No, they were white pelicans... but due to all the light being above them (and away from me / the camera) - all you can see is them as a silhouette -making them look dark (but they were white).

Here in Australia I've seen many more white pelicans, though occasionally have seen the brown (or 'half brown') one/s. I think younger white pelicans are sometimes brown, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Indeed, usually I see a few (eg 2, 3 or 4) flying together, not really in any formation. But I have seen a few times where one was 'clearly' the leader and other tailed / trailed on either side.

However this was really a 'V' - both vertically and horizontally they were spaced out so well and maintained it for as long as I could see.

Thank you for your post, as always- much appreciated.

Paul
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I like the first one best -- the birds are more recognizeable at a glance, with their wings seemingly too far to the rear of their body. And they just seem more massive in that one. Clone out the roof and it would be excellent.
Hi tclune

I'm glad you like the first one... it is perhaps also my favourite of the two.

You're right (and picked up the detail well) - the wings do appear too far to the rear of their bodies, due to the approximate 45 degree angle I was shooting at (behind them and upwards).

As they are 'dark' (because the sky was so light - and I didn't have time to change to my 70-300mm L telezoom lens, or really adjust exposure) - the details of where the wing joins their bodies melts in a general shadow / silhouette of the whole bird, giving that 'effect' of the wings being too far to the rear of their body.

Because they were much closer and flying basically directly overhead, it felt like I was indeed standing under a huge spectacle, eg like a slow moving aircraft slowly soaring above me (more like 'gliding' as they were silent).

Maybe I should clone my roof out. Thanks again for your comments.

Paul