Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Shadow Line

All right, this picture is really stretching it for this challenge. But the lighting is somewhat odd, and I thought the shadow line from the clouds was interesting. This is what you get when you have a mix of clouds/thunderheads and smoke (there's several fires burning nearby). It rather fits in with Cal's observation about how shadows sort-of disappear when its smoky.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2

Hi mtngal

For what it's worth, I think this still meets the challenge criteria - as the viewer can see both the mountain and the shadow it is casting.

I really like this sort of 'view into an open valley' landscape scene. Thanks for sharing.

The smoke / haze does add an element of interest and unusual light. I'd love to see a similar scene without smoke (and perhaps on a crisp, clear early spring day - with the grass all green and sky so blue!)

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:05 PM   #3

Mtngal,

Yes, the shadow is there and no doubt in full sunlight with no smokey haze the effect would have been glorious. A pity. Feel sorry for the folks with breathing problems.
Selvin
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:18 PM   #4

Paul - I know I have a picture taken very close to this spot in winter - it's all white. I did an HDR and went more extreme than I usually do and I'm not sure I like it, I should either re-edit it or post it as is in the HDR section and see what others think. I don't think I have a spring picture taken from here, but then we so rarely see grass that's green. It's a pretty little valley, a somewhat unexpected quiet little spot not all that far from Los Angeles and surrounded by national forest land.

The smoke wasn't too bad yesterday and I think they've got a reasonable handle on the various lightning-caused fires around this little valley. The rest of Kern County didn't fare so well, but even those pale compared to what's happening elsewhere in the country.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote