Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:56 PM   #1

Default White On White

Since my plates are white why not. Its interesting how even the white looks by the eye. But completely different when seen by the camera. Could it be the different materials reflect the white in different ways. The base is styrofoam, the plate is ceramic, the cutlery is plastic and the cup is a different kind of ceramics than the plate.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:08 PM   #2

Very interesting, Bynx - that styrofoam base has a texture that is unexpected with a plate and set of other cutlery, etc.

I like it. Shows how tricky white is to expose, since at the bottom of the photo the styrofoam looks almost too bright, whereas other parts of the white are not 'pure white'.

And that's what this challenge is about. Well done!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:59 PM   #3

Ya thats what I said about the different material. The mug wouldnt come out as white as the plate yet when you look at them they are the same whiteness. I dont eat off styrofoam. I have that stuff around just for this purpose.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:26 PM   #4

Nice try, Bynx. I understand your frustration. The problem with the styrofoam is that the uneven texture reflects a lot of light away from the camera.

As far as the "hot spot" on the plate, perhaps if you backed the away from the setting a bit and then zoomed in, the intensity of the light (assuming flash was used) would be less. I don't know how this would affect the reflectivity of the foam. It would be an interesting experiment.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:45 PM   #5

My problem was the cup. I couldnt get it to show white, just a lousy grey. Thats why I was wondering about the material and how it reflects white. The styrofoam texture didnt bother me. The challenge asked to use white and everything is white. If there are shadows thats ok with me.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:55 AM   #6

That's cool. My guess is that if you placed the cup on top of the plate and positioned the camera absolutely perpendicular to it, the cup would appear much whiter.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote