Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Default On the Street Where I Live -- Before and After

Here are a couple archive shots of my house, first just as construction started, and second after completion and moved in. Boy, I sure wish I still had that truck!

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:46 PM   #2

G'day Cal

Thx for showing us your place - it seems to be a 'real-big-joint'
As for the truck ... to us Aussies, US 'trucks' and 'pickups' are huge compared with our 'utes'

Q- is this a topic whereby you are asking for member responses of 'their house & its views'?
<edit> whoops I see from other entries that it is ... I will post some of my own elsewhere <thx>

Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Oct 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Cal

Thx for showing us your place - it seems to be a 'real-big-joint'

Regards, Phil
I don't if you have these in Australia but it is a duplex. There are two complete family homes in one building. We live in the unit on the left. The unit on the right is a mirror image of ours. There are 23 of these duplexes in our condominium neighborhood.

Cal
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:54 PM   #4

'G'day Cal' (from another Australian)

Yes, there are duplex houses in Australia - some people sub-divide suburban properties / blocks of land to achieve that. Fairly popular in 'middle class suburbs' in some of our larger cities.

It's also a way that many investors aim to maximise their returns on their property purchase - by either sale or rental. A duplex (or semi-detached) house is more common in newer parts of the UK (and eg some suburbs of towns / cities in the Netherlands, etc). Australia still has a lot of detached houses set on larger blocks as the 'norm'.

Thanks for sharing the before and after - I find that very interesting. (Space takes on a very different perspective - depending on if a building is there or not!)

I still find it intriguing that in the US there are so many weather board homes (or whatever you call 'wooden / other material board homes). Brick is more common here in Australia.

I'm not a 'ute' person, but here in Australia I've seen small utes and big utes (eg large Toyota Hilux). But Hummers, they're huge! Ridiculously so.... I drive a sedan.

I hope to contribute for this challenge.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:48 PM   #5

Very nice set, looks like a comfortable place to live.

Bricks are more common in some areas of the US than in others. I don't think there's any brick homes in my subdivision, and only one stucco home. All the rest are wood or other type of siding. Many other subdivisions/developments are all stucco (better fire-resistant for one). I think the cost of reinforcing brick tends to keep many builders from using it now, which might be the reason I don't see a lot of new residential construction with it. Unreinforced masonry in earthquake-land is a bad idea (they tend to fall down in earthquakes).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
'G'day Cal' (from another Australian)

I still find it intriguing that in the US there are so many weather board homes (or whatever you call 'wooden / other material board homes). Brick is more common here in Australia.

Paul

We call it siding and wood is not used much anymore. The siding on this house is vinyl. It is very durable and lasts a long time. Aluminum siding is also popular for the same reasons.

Thanks for looking.

Cal
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:21 PM   #7

Good looking house you got there, Cal. I just arrived in Hillsboro this morning on a business trip. I should be pretty close to where you live!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:31 PM   #8

As noted before empty space does look differently after its occupied.
Wood is the primary material of choice here in the islands despite having some pretty voracious termites.
Selvin
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote