Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:44 PM   #1

Default On the street where I live, Adventure is where you find it!

While this image lacks a bit in technical perfection, I didn't have the heart to delete it. Zoe and her friend really brought back some memories of my own childhood, when we played on that dirt hill in Grandma's back yard.

Caught with my Canon Rebel XSi, 18-55 IS
Attached Images

Last edited by spacer; Oct 21, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:53 AM   #2

The sheer joy on their faces is "priceless". Sometimes being perfect isn't the thing.
Thanks for ssubmitting.
Aloha, Selvin
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:12 AM   #3

I agree - the image is quite compelling. The blur shows movement, not technical imperfection
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:17 AM   #4

I agree, it might not be perfect in some ways, but it does perfectly capture a certain fleeting moment in a life. It's definitely a keeper.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:30 PM   #5

It brought a smile to my face and, I'm sure, to everyone else who views it. Wonderful!
djohnfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:51 PM   #6

Spacer

Well done for the capture. Both are cute girls, and the contrast of different expressions (but both obviously 'joyful, happy & having fun') - matches the fact that one girl is blonde and the other has dark features.

The other 'good thing' is that, particularly with digital photography you can practice again and again (and look at the EXIF - digital data) - and improve.

Taking photos of children at camps is one of the highlights I enjoy (part of my 'duty' of leading camps for over 20 years now, is that I'm also often the 'official photographer' for camps for children with special needs, or vulnerable children). Also I take photos of my nephews and nieces, which brings joy to them (and happy memories to last for my family too).

Thanks for sharing the smiles and joy!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:38 PM   #7

Wyatt's a good looking fella, but last I checked he's still a boy.

Maybe the apron throws things off a bit. This was at a breakfast in our fly-in neighborhood, and he'd been helping his aunt with the pancakes.
Zoe, in the back, is very much a girl... though she ain't as delicate as some.

Thanks for the good comments. Taking photos of my daughter is what got me back into photography.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:09 PM   #8

Here's another from the same "session". The midday sun was really harsh, so I tried to angle myself so that they'd create their own sort of open shade. I may go play with the background some when I have time, but this is the un-edited photo right outta the camera.

The object of their interest, by the way, is a ladybug they found.

Last edited by spacer; Oct 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:18 PM   #9

Whoops... sorry spacer... I put my foot in it that time - thinking & writing they were both boys! (gulp) Apologies to Wyatt!

The 2nd photo is also a great capture. They're engrossed in the ladybug, (I like non-posed people shots best) - and enjoying each other's company.

Well done on the composition (low angle) and also the exposure (on their faces) with the harsh mid-day sun. The sky being bright / blown out is something unavoidable in such situations, more important to get their faces well exposed (as you've done!)

Ahhh... one has to appreciate children doing such things! (maybe we as adults should do the same!)

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:47 PM   #10

Ah, no problem. At certain ages, I have to rely on clothing sometimes to figure what gender a kid is.
Zoe has a bad habit of cheezing for the camera, so I have to be sneaky. Sometimes, I'll pretend to take the picture while she's saying "cheese" (I've begged and pleaded for her not to), then snap the real photo when she's relaxed.