Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:01 AM   #1

Default One the street where I live - wheely bin theme

Hi friends

I went out to take a few photos, and decided to share something... which maybe some people find 'normal, uninteresting or boring' - but others might find interesting, or at least 'amusing'.

The part of Adelaide (South Australia) that I live in is governed by a local council ('municipality') - and each has it's own waste / recycleable / green matter collection service. Mine is collected weekly, but alternates (ie rubbish - red lid every week, and recycleable every 2 weeks and alternate weeks greet matter).

Photo #1 - the bins outside my home. You can get a bit of an idea of the view / area of my street (facing north west).

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:04 AM   #2

Default Photo #2

And here are bins that are also waiting for collection (set out the night before) - on the other side of the street from my home.

That is, the view facing north east. The house they're in front of is up for sale. And next door to that a house was pulled down to erect two 'town-houses' on that property (smaller homes, probably two storey).

As you can see from the colour of the lids, it is 'recycle week' (yellow lid). The wheely bin with the red lid is the rubbish one (every week). The 'green matter' bins have a green lid (that's logical!)

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:57 AM   #3

LOL! Must be nice to have automatic trash pick-up. It's also interesting to see how other parts of the world handle it, and who/how it gets paid for. Love the brightly colored tops.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:56 PM   #4

Yes, it is indeed nice to have a 'big truck' come along and pick up the rubbish with it's big 'arm' (it only requires a driver in the truck - who can remain in the driver's seat). Some of the drivers are very skilled / fast at operating.

When I moved back to Australia (after living in Europe for about a decade) and settled in Adelaide (I'm originally from Launceston, Tasmania) - it was quite novel to see this.

My younger brother and his family came to visit (from Tasmania) a few months afterwards - and spent 2 weeks with myself and my then wife (now ex-wife). One nephew was about 3 and a half years old then, and he loved to see the 'rubbish truck' collecting all the bins outside the unit I was then renting.

It was a real special experience for him, particularly because there were about 20 rubbish bins which could be viewed from our bedroom window... and it was a real highlight (happened twice during their stay). I expect now that he's 8 it won't be such a novelty for him.

It's often these 'little differences' in life across the world which can be interesting. In Romania there were huge 'communal bins' outside the apartment blocks that people took their 'bucket' or 'bag' of rubbish to and deposited it there.

Paul
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:13 PM   #5

We've got those here. A big green one with yellow top for recyclables and a smaller dark green one for non-recyclable trash. There is another smaller bin for glass that gets put out as necessary. All are collected weekly. I've been hearing something on the news recently that another container may be added for food/organic material. I sure hope not! The garbage disposer under the sink works just fine.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:53 AM   #6

And here! Do you have automatic baby pick up as well?!? LOL

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:14 PM   #7

G'day all

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
..... I've been hearing something on the news recently that another container may be added for food/organic material. I sure hope not! The garbage disposer under the sink works just fine. Cal
Curiosity -
where does it end up after leaving your kitchen sink?
IF it goes down the pipes, who clears it out if/when the pipes get blocked?

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day all

Curiosity -
where does it end up after leaving your kitchen sink?
IF it goes down the pipes, who clears it out if/when the pipes get blocked?

Regards, Phil
It goes through the sewer lines to the sewage treatment plant. The only blockage I know of was in the trap under the sink. That was because the plumbing was done improperly and the pipes were too small. About a year ago we had all the drain piping under the sink replaced by someone who knew what he was doing.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote