Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:03 PM   #1

Default photo within a photo - a year later

Well, almost a year later. The first picture was taken in December last year, the second one a couple of days ago. I may try re-shooting the later picture, it just doesn't look right. I've tried a couple of things and perhaps it's partly because the leaves haven't changed as much. But I'm just not totally satisfied about it. I've tried it with and without a border around the older shot and it looks strange without it. I think I'll give up on this one, I just can't quite get it to work.

Maybe I should fade out the top leaves, letting some more of the scaffolding show through?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:27 PM   #2

mtngal - I had to stare at it for a while to see what was happening. The rebar structure in the small image is now the large building with the scaffolding around it, right? Now it makes sense and looks good!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:37 PM   #3

Yes, that's what's going on. I'm not sure I've managed to get that across quite correctly yet, think I'll try another current shot with a wider angle lens as a vertical so the perspective is closer to the same when I reduce the size of the older picture. Or maybe crop out the bottom? The challenge will be over before I'd be likely to match the color of the leaves, I think that might have helped. I've actually had fun taking pictures of this construction site over the past year plus since they started. Just thought of another shot I have of another place on the site that I could match, might have to explore that one more...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:15 PM   #4

Good job...my question is, how big is that tree? It makes the building look like a model from a train layout!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:14 PM   #5

I like this with the beautiful fall colors. I'm glad they left that gorgeous tree next to the new building.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:23 PM   #6

The tree is huge, and is planted at a higher level than the building. There's quite a bit of slope to the lot they are building on, and the tree is actually beyond it, in another area. I was thinking that the building would completely obscure the view of the tree from where I was standing. It's actually been interesting to see it go up (and up and up).
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the explanation...you certainly chose an interesting perspective to capture the scene.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote