Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:43 PM   #1

Default Picture in a picture- another Mosaic

My intention was not to copy Cal but, great minds must think alike because I had also been working with a Mac version of Mosaic software called MacOSaiX. It is very mesmerising to me to watch the program construct the picture. I think there were something like 1700-2000 photos used in the construction of this picture.

This is an old truck I photographed 5 or 6 years ago and I thought it would make a good subject.
Cheers, Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 31, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:23 PM   #2

Great job, Steve. It must really be fascinating to watch your program construct the image. With Andrea Mosaic, the mosaic image is constructed internally and only the final image is displayed.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:43 PM   #3

Thanks Cal. It really is interesting. It's like watching a time lapse of a gigantic jigsaw puzzle going together. As the program proceeds it then optimizes the pieces for the best fit before moving on. It's fascinating.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:50 PM   #4

Thanks for letting us know the name of the software you used. Think I'll give mosaic another try, it's been awhile.

I noticed that this software uses different size images for different areas. For example, the radiator on the truck seems to be made with smaller size images.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:31 PM   #5

I think the images are all the same size. The difference between the truck radiator and the rest is that images that were light on top half and dark on bottom or versa visa were used.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:28 PM   #6

Cal is right. All of the images are the same size. The radiator images all have a half dark half light component to them. There is an option of finding nearly exact matches for the image which produces an image closer to the original. You could deselect that and your final picture has a much more mosaic/abstract quality when finished. It's a pretty complex program and it's free..... my favorite kind.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:00 AM   #7

Yup, a closer look shows them all the same size. Amazing how the software used images to replicate the lines of the radiator.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:31 AM   #8

Wow, what a cool pic. I'll have to try that sometime, but I don't know if I have enough images stored on my computer to make it work.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsch1 View Post
Yup, a closer look shows them all the same size. Amazing how the software used images to replicate the lines of the radiator.

There is even a setting that crops the image for a closer match to the original picture. Amazing, what software can do. I do find that this program is a little glitchy, but when it works it's worth the effort. Steve

Here is a version where i set it to find the best match for the picture. You can see that the trees have more detail in this picture.

Last edited by smac; Nov 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshi43 View Post
Wow, what a cool pic. I'll have to try that sometime, but I don't know if I have enough images stored on my computer to make it work.
Toshi, the software repeats the images to create the one. You can use as few or as many images as you choose.