Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:01 PM   #1
daz

Default The Dark Side of Fall.

Not to much posting happening so here are 2. Not to all tastes but they are colorful.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:23 PM   #2

I quite like that second shot!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:42 PM   #3

I like the second shot best. The first appears to be over-saturated.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:34 PM   #4
daz

I to like the second shot more then the first. The second has more personality to me and the first is more like something for a background of a computer desktop.

Interesting that you bring up over-saturation in the first photo cal. Do you mean that the color of the leave are to bright, in that case I would go talk to the leaves about toning it down but they have all turned brown now. If you mean I turned up the saturation I can insure you that I did not touch anything to do with color. Even the WB is out of the camera. All I adjusted is a little of how bright and resized and sharped (because I had to resize) to get in on the forum.

So why are the colors so bright? Partly it is the dark. When you put bright things next to no light (the black) it will look a lot brighter. But the other reason is some thing we tend to forget about, the quality of the light. When most talk about the quality of the light is is for things like how hard or soft the light is or if it has an emotion cast to it like a sunset or candle light. Here it is something a little more scientific. If you take say a red object and shine white light on it it will look red. If you shine red light on it it will still look red but if you shine blue light it will look black or gray. This is because for something to reradiate colors (other then something like UV fluoresce) there needs to be the colors in the light. Even what we think of as white light may not be but the brain adjusts it so we see it as white that is why we have the fiction of WB. We get so use to seeing things in this muted light that when we see them in a real (or close to it) white light it can look unreal but these are the real colors.

I could show examples of how something taken under one kind of light and WB looks more muted and the same with just a more white light with no WB and it will look like the saturation was turned up but was not for either photo.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:09 AM   #5

The second shot is very nice

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
Interesting that you bring up over-saturation in the first photo cal. Do you mean that the color of the leave are to bright, in that case I would go talk to the leaves about toning it down but they have all turned brown now. If you mean I turned up the saturation I can insure you that I did not touch anything to do with color. Even the WB is out of the camera. All I adjusted is a little of how bright and resized and sharped (because I had to resize) to get in on the forum.

DAZ
I was not implying anything. I believe what you are saying regarding how the image was produced. I simply meant that it has the appearance of over-saturation. I guess mother nature was really trying to put on a good show before the leaves turned brown.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:02 PM   #7
daz

Cal I did not think you were implying that I had done anything in particular. If I gave that impression I apologize. You were just giving your opinion based on your tastes. I was looking for the bases of your opinion. What our expenses have been in the past color our opinions. Knowing this helps to weigh the opinion. How I produced the photo is based on my tastes and my bad taste is not against the law (lucky for me). I was trying to share some information. Some times I gave information a little to blunt and that can come off as preachy. Most of the time I have been accused of explaining how to build a watch when all they want to know is the time. I try to correct for this and then I sometimes over do it and get to short. This is one reason I don't usually give opinions here on other peoples photos as I am just not good at it and I end up hurting there feelings.

DAZ