Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:04 PM   #1
daz

Default The Dark Side of the Out Side (Hey it's dark out here!)

Probably not what calr had in mind and I am dubious he will approve of it for this challenge but it has been a little quiet here (not as much postings as some times) so here is 2 just for fun. I wanted to see what I could do with just what was in my camera bag. I learned some things and remembered why I was not into this kind of photography. Jupiter and Pleiades (Seven Sisters).

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:25 PM   #2

Wow...on the second shot, can you actually see all those stars with naked eyes?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:41 PM   #3

Daz, you are right in that these are not low-key shots. However, they are great star shots. Can you post the EXIF data? I am curious about the exposure. I suspect it was a couple seconds with the lens wide open??

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:32 PM   #4

I'd guess over 30 secs.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:42 PM   #5
daz

Tullio most astro photo are not what you would see with you naked eyes. The camera is more sensitive and can stare unblinkingly to get more light. This is one of the good things about a camera, it can show us things that we can't see with the eyes. When you resize if you don't sharpen you will loose some of the small stars so resizing can end up exaggerating how bright the small stars are.

This new photo is closer to what you would see if it was very dark and your eyes had there full night vision. Jupiter is the bright blob in the upper right. Jupiter is so bright it is getting some lens distortion. The Pleiades (Seven Sisters) is the group of stars in the left, 1/3 over and 1/3 down. A test of your visual acuity is how many of the Seven Sisters you can count on a dark night.

For you cal here is the photo info:

Jupiter (first photo) 15sec ,ISO 80, f/5.6, 300mm and about a 50% crop.

Pleiades (Seven Sisters) 30sec, ISO 6400, f/8x1.4, 500mm x 1.4 = 700mm. I used a 500mm catadioptric lens (mirror or cat lens) that I have had for years and a 1.4 teleconverter.

The new photo of about 40 degrees of the sky 180 sec, ISO 400, f/2.8, 31mm.

I was able to get the longer photos exposure with a new toy I have for my camera that puts the GPS data in the photos (that is why I got it) but it can also use the shake reduction system on the camera to track (for a limited time) the stars so there are no streaks. The night I got the photos was the first clear (clear for this) night in about 2 month. You know how it gets up here cal.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:37 PM   #6

What do you think of the GPS attachment? I've thought about it but somehow never get outside to take pictures when it's dark out. I'd use the GPS features more than the star tracking ability. But it would be kind-of fun to play around with one (sigh!). Thanks for the exif info - I had wondered how you could get such little star trail if you had used 30 seconds. Very cool.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:45 PM   #7
daz

Mtngal I got the GPS unit because of the GPS part the astotracking was just a bonus. There have been time I would have liked to take astro photos but having to carry a tracking mount for these rare times is just not practical for me. I have been looking for some thing like this for years (I wish I would have had the system I have now 30 years ago). With the travailing I do it is good to have an easy way to keep track of things. For the camera that you and I have this is (in my opinion) the absolute best option available. Other then having to be attached it to the camera it can do what no other GPS unit can do. It can put the data in the RAW file as you take the photo. This is the only one I know of that can do this for the make of camera we have. It can also put the direction the photo was taking in the file and this is that only unit no matter what make that can do that.

I have been ringing it out (I like to know what limits things have before I have to count on them) so I have been using it in ways just to find the edges like how it works with flash for example. Astor photography is one of those things I looked into long ago and this little test reminded me why I was not all the interested in it. I had a friend show me how to do some astrophotos once and I just realized the photos I took all those years ago were of Jupiter and Pleiades like I did the other night.

One of the things I have discovered if you decide to get this unit is that as you point the unit up the accuracy of the compass gets less accurate. This makes sense when you know how the unit works and most of the time is not all that important. But if you are doing the astro stuff then it is something you have to pay attention too. I have not totally tested this as I only had the one test but if you are going to use the astrotracking if you point it up (elevation) and then turn to the unit to the heading it will not have a good heading and not track as accurately as it can. It is better if you start level so it has a good heading, turn to the heading you want then go up in your elevation as I think it seems to track better.

The one thing I would complain about is the manual needs work. It is short but hard to understand and this is from a person that has to read manual as a big part of my job. If you get it and need help drop me a line.

DAZ
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:18 AM   #8

Well done....I can genuinly say I am impressed with both your method and the outcome.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote