Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:32 AM   #1

Default Flora-plants that flourish here

A few more plants that I take photos of each year in my yard:

Rhododendrons love the soil and climate here. We have over 50 of these plants growing on our property. I love taking photos of flowers and these plants produce some of the nicest blooms.

The Massachusetts state flower: The Lady Slipper is a rather unusual plant as it grows wild and does not transplant It is actually an orchid. It requires the right combination of soil, nutrients to grow.

Black Eyed Susans are another flower that flourishes here in our yard. By the end of July these are everywhere:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:02 AM   #2

I have almost those exact images in my library. Same Rhody, too! Perfect Cape Cod images.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:40 AM   #3

Neat pictures, I especially like the rhododendron (but it's not my favorite of the 3). Interesting about your state flower being an orchid, it's a neat looking flower and I don't think I've ever seen one. Rhododendrons don't grow well around here - there's a small collection of them in the near-by botanical gardens that I love to photograph. There's a number of different colors and they are always so striking looking, but it seems that the collection needs constant attention and rarely looks like its flourishing, like most of the plants there. On the other hand, one of my neighbors always has an excellent (though small) lazy susan display each year. I like your picture because of the depth it portrays - it makes me think this is only one small part of a big field and that it must be a pretty sight.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsch1 View Post
I have almost those exact images in my library. Same Rhody, too! Perfect Cape Cod images.
Hi Vanessa,

Have you been poking around in my yard??

If you live on Cape Cod and take photos, it really is difficult not to have the above in your portfolio.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5

Beautiful shots. Portland has the name "Rose City" but it should be "Rhododendron City". We have ten times as many "Rhodies" as roses. I'm not complaining. I love 'em. We've got four bushes in front of the house.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:48 AM   #6

Hi Leslie,

While the 'sea of susans' as I like to call this patch is not endless it does occupy a fair portion of the landscape. A different look;

Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Beautiful shots. Portland has the name "Rose City" but it should be "Rhododendron City". We have ten times as many "Rhodies" as roses. I'm not complaining. I love 'em. We've got four bushes in front of the house.

Cal
Hi Cal,

Thanks for the positive comment.

"Rhodies" to me, are wonderful plants 'cause I can't kill them. I'm not a very good gardener. So, I try really hard to plant flowers, etc. that will survive my
lack of attention to them.

Zig

Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:25 AM   #8

Zig,
Those are outstanding. The lady slippers surprise me. I didn't know it was the state flower. I think Mtngal is correct probably the only state with an orchid as a state flower. Even Hawaii famous for orchids doesn't use one. It uses a native Hibiscus instead. There are acutally only three native orchids in Hawaii and none of them have any spectacular flowers.

Thanks for enlightening us.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
Zig,
Those are outstanding. The lady slippers surprise me. I didn't know it was the state flower. I think Mtngal is correct probably the only state with an orchid as a state flower. Even Hawaii famous for orchids doesn't use one. It uses a native Hibiscus instead. There are acutally only three native orchids in Hawaii and none of them have any spectacular flowers.

Thanks for enlightening us.
Hi Selvin,

Your post this morning, caused me to question what I had earlier written about the Lady Slipper being the state flower. So, I did some digging (pun intended)
and you are right the state flower, here in MA, is the Mayflower.

Why I was thinking that the Lady Slipper was the State flower, I'll never know.
But, one thing I do know is that it's a beautiful little orchid which grows wild in my front and back yard and I'm quite fortunate to be able to enjoy them.

Thank you for your post. as I learned something this morning and it's not even 9am yet.

Zig