Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:49 PM   #1

Default Flora - snowdrops

Hi, i am new here and just found this thread via a friend. I am interested to learn as much as i can so any advice comments etc will be most welcome as i would love to improve on my photography.
I took this on the 21st of January.
Thanks
E.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:00 PM   #2

Very nice. I like how the shadow becomes the contrast between the white background and the flowers. The green really pops, too.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:14 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. We have a bit of fun here and try to learn a few things along the way. There is a new challenge posted every two weeks. Note that this not a contest. Everyone is a winner for participating and learning something from what others have done. Hope we see a lot more of you.

I don't think I would have used direct flash for this shot. If this is indoors, I would try bouncing the flash off the ceiling (assuming the flash head tilts. If this is outdoors, I would consider using a piece of white posterboard or something similar to reflect the light. Also, translucent material could be placed in front of the flash to diffuse it.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:03 PM   #4

I normally don't like direct flash shadows, but in this case, with the white on white, it makes for some interesting patterns.

I'm horrible when it comes to flash - rarely use it. Ever since I saw an article about making your own snoot (use a Pringles can) and a flash enhancer (use the inside of a soda can cut and shaped appropriately) that both used a paper towel at the end for the diffuser, I've been using a white coffee filter. Works reasonably well and doesn't cost anything if you are a coffee drinker.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:53 AM   #5

eysha, looks much better without the bottom part. I think you could probably crop a bit more at the top. I also agree that the shadow adds an interesting dimension!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:40 AM   #6

Many thanks for the welcome, i appreciate it.
The photo was taken outside and i used a white card as the background. The camera i am using is the Panasonic FZ38 and i have no other equipment at all - nothing as i am new to photography so haven't invested in anything as yet and i have so much to learn - as Saly knows,lol.
I have only just started using the flash, never used it normally but someone suggested i try it so i did,lol. Not tried a defuser as yet so interested in mtngal's post so more info there please.
Saly no problem cropping further, always happy to learn and advance.
Thanks everyone for your posts, i appreciate them and i am hoping to learn a lot more too so any tips and tricks jsut send and i will give them all a go.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:01 AM   #7

It's not a big deal for my diffuser - if you are using the camera's built-in flash, just take a coffee filter and a rubber band and put the filter very losely over the flash, securing it with the rubber band. Since I have a separate flash mounted on the hot shoe, and my coffee maker uses cone filters, I have the cone part sticking out from the flash, so the filter doesn't touch the glass of the flash itself. I'd probably do the same thing with the built-in flash, have the paper at a bit of a ways from the flash head. Don't know if it makes a difference or not.

Another idea I once saw for a built-in flash is to get an old Fujifilm 35mm film canister that was milky white and cut that to fit over your flash, more elaborate than my coffee filter/rubber band. For external/shoe mounted flashes I understand the bottom of some rubbing alcohol bottles work well as they are approximately the correct size. When I first got my flash I tried a piece of both engineering vellum and mylar, but neither worked - both of them are designed to pass light (for making blueprints) and don't diffuse enough to make a difference.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8

Thanks, i don't use coffee so that one i out for me, not seen white film canisters but will look out for one and being in the UK not sure what rubbing alcohol is. All useful info and i will remember it for the future. Thanks E.

Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:23 AM   #9

eysha,
Rubbing alcohol also goes by the more technical term, "Isopropyl alcohol."
The Fuji white film canisters are getting to be a rare find in these days of digital photography. I've heard of others using a paper tissue (also known as "Kleenex" in these parts of the world.) I suspect a "serviette" that doesn't block too much light might also work.
Thanks for joining our group.
Aloha, selvin
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:55 AM   #10

Thanks Selvin, i will look that up. I have heard it used in artwork in America but not heard of it here so it is probably here under a different name.
I can try kleenex and see what happends, always up for an experiment,lol.
Thanks for having me here, i really hope to learn a lot as i am still struggling ith my attempts at photography and still cannot get ISO, Apature and Shutter speed into my head yet, lol.
Aloha (Does that mean you are in Hawaii? If so lucky you.)
E.