Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Door

This challenge is turning out to be harder than I had expected. After looking at a lot of store-fronts, restaurant doors and doors to buildings around work, I came to the conclusion that there must be a building code that says all doors to public buildings have to have glass doors. That makes for a lot of very boring doors, but I did manage to find this one early this morning.

The building had two doors with quotes on them, one from Plato (which made more sense to me, especially for the door it was over) and this one from Josiah Royce, an American philosopher and professor who taught at UC Berkeley and then Harvard. This building, built around 1927, was named for him.

Looks like other door photos will have to be more imaginative (or archive ones).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:32 AM   #2

Your photo is fine but I dislike it when builders - architects use typefonts on buildings that are close to unreadable e.g. the last word in the quote.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:02 AM   #3

Selvin, in this case I think an unintelligible font kind of fits the quote... Nice capture, BTW.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:36 PM   #4

I like the door. I think the yellowish top adds to the purplish light reflecting off the door. What is making that light purple. It kind of looks like a slow exposure that allows the photo to take on a color cast. Tell us about the set up?

Bill

P.S. I have been told that I "over think" things.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:43 PM   #5

The picture was taken before the sun was up, but well after first light (and after the "blue hour" but not by much - light was still very bluish). The artificial lighting behind me is quite yellow/orange, big spot-lights. Between the yellow artificial lighting and the very bluish natural light, my camera's AWB did something strange. On the other hand, the lead glass above the door (illuminated by interior lighting) is close to what it really looks like, a bit cooler than it really is perhaps, but I couldn't tweak it to get it right. So I left it alone. Shutter speed was 1.3 sec and I used f8. The camera was on a gorillapod somewhat precariously perched on a slightly sloping ledge. Some of the color cast might have also come from the fact I didn't cover the viewfinder (I was sitting on the ledge next to the camera - there's a hedge on the other side of the ledge), but I don't think so.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the quote a bit hard to "get". And it did take me a while before I finally figured out the last word, and even though I know what it is (interpretation), I still don't quite know what he meant by that. Or exactly why it's above a door leading into a corridor of classrooms.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Even though the door itself is rather benign, the architect used the glass and quote to make it something unique.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:52 AM   #7

The building is a lovely building, I often photograph it. It's one of the oldest buildings in the area (there are 4 that were built at the same time) and is on the historical register. It also has the most interesting doors I could within walking distance of my office - all the other buildings around have glass doors with fairly dark tinting, very boring.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:11 AM   #8

LOVE the glass top. Is this to Royce Hall?

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:05 PM   #9

Yes, venerable Royce Hall - one of my favorite buildings to photograph and the only one that I could come up with around Westwood that didn't have a glass door. The glass above the door is lead. There's also lead glass in the stairwells, with some stained glass on the 3rd floor.