Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Seeing Red another Orchid

This is a photo taken at this year's Orchid Society Show just a couple of weeks ago. Probably more appropriate as the color looks more like a true red:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:47 PM   #2

Zig, it is your photo so tell me, do you think the camera captured the red color(s) correctly. If the actual color of the orchid is a more brilliant red, the camera may have reduced the saturation. Was there any post-processing? As with the questions I posed to Walter, I am not criticizing the photo but rather to understand what is happening. I have had problems with red with three different cameras.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Zig, it is your photo so tell me, do you think the camera captured the red color(s) correctly. If the actual color of the orchid is a more brilliant red, the camera may have reduced the saturation. Was there any post-processing? As with the questions I posed to Walter, I am not criticizing the photo but rather to understand what is happening. I have had problems with red with three different cameras.

Cal
Hi Cal,

I do believe that the camera captured the tone of the colors pretty accurately.
But, I do know what you mean. The Olympus E-30 that I used for these images
captures colors pretty accurately. If there is a problem, it's generally one that I've created. Here is the OOC camera image. The only change I made to this photo was to convert from Raw to JPEG:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:54 PM   #4

Zig,
What appears to be low light artifacts are also adding a bit of potential noise to the issue.
However I am intrigued by the fact that you had a red lady slipper. I haven't seen one of those yet in Hawaii.
Lovely capture.
Selvin
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvin View Post
Zig,
What appears to be low light artifacts are also adding a bit of potential noise to the issue.
However I am intrigued by the fact that you had a red lady slipper. I haven't seen one of those yet in Hawaii.
Lovely capture.
Selvin
Hi,

Yes, there was noise in the RAW file due to the distance I needed to be away from the bloom and the "high school gym" type lighting -which was dark.

This was my 2nd year photographing these beautiful specimens and while the people are very friendly, if you introduce yourself and explain what it is that you would like to do and ask the owner's permission to photograph their pride and joy, they also make it very clear that you cannot touch the bloom or any part of the plant, for that matter. You are not allowed to move the pot or anything else that may be in your way. All of which, makes it very difficult to get a really good shot of many of the plants.

To top it all off, we're trying to take photos while they are trying to finish setting up the show booth. Having a set of studio lighting equipment (which I brought) was useless as It would have just gotten in the way.

So, under the circumstances, I'm not altogether unhappy with the result.

Zig