Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:33 PM   #1

Default Seeing Red: Stop and smell the flower

If it wasn't for this challenge, these pictures would probably never see the light of day!
Attached Images

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:37 PM   #2

Hi Tulio,
I'd have to say that the first shot is nothing to write home about, LOL!
The second shot clearly illustrates the problem I have been talking about. Notice that the lower left quadrant of the cluster of flowers is not clear. The colors run together. I am not sure what to do about it except possibly desaturate the red channel a bit and see if that helps.

I don't know if this is a sensor problem, a problem with the IR filter that covers the sensor, or something else. It can't be the storage media since that just stores the 0's and 1's generated by the sensor.

Does anyone have any ideas on the subject?

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3

It does not look that bad on my monitor, Cal. I can see the edges of every little flower. They are not as well defined as the top bunch but they are not a big blur either. Saturation has a lot to do with it. Here's a unsaturated version. It has more definition but not that much more considering how much color I've removed.
Attached Images

Tullio
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:14 AM   #4

I understand that you decreased the saturation on this shot and the detail of the flowers is more apparent. Was the first shot OOC (Out of camera) or was there some post processing?

Although I have seen evidence of the problem on several photos in the past couple days, I am still not understanding it.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:25 PM   #5

I've PP'ed the photo but did not do much as far as saturation and exposure goes. Here's the original...
Attached Images

Tullio
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:05 PM   #6

The edge details in my red shots aren't as affected by the red issue as much as the inner details of the red object. In the case of flowers Calr is right the area seems a blur and I've often passed it off as lousy focussing on that area but as Calr pointed out the red-saturation artifact may be a significant contributing factor also.
In your shot Tullio the lower left flowers are also less well defined internally than the top one, although one could argue that they are slightly out of focus as the explanation.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:24 PM   #7

I think the less definition is consequence of a shallow DoF. Maybe the colors on my monitor are unsaturated because I don't see the blur you guys see, Some of the little flowers in the bottom bunch are not as well defined but I can still see the edge definition around them, specially if I crop them 100%. It seems to me that perhaps contrast is the key. The more shadow you can bring around the edges, the less blur you get.

Tullio
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:33 AM   #8

Like the red challenge and these meet that.

Regarding the merging of or soft red of the open flowers... it appears to be a depth of field issue on this photo. I think the buds to the right of the open flowers are in focus.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:05 AM   #9

Yes, I agree. Next time I take these kinds of pictures, unless I deliberately want to create a DoF effect, I need to make sure I pick a smaller aperture.

Tullio