Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Lower Point of View: Offroad

Decided to try something different from what I usually shoot - i spent a couple of hours looking for dirt bikers in an off-road park. It seemed like whenever I found a spot to park the bikers and quads went somewhere else. I did manage to get a couple of shots, I thought these two fit the challenge:

I can't figure out if I should have used a slightly slower shutter speed so I didn't freeze the spokes on the wheel. I was too afraid that if I did, I'd end up with motion blur - some of these bikes move pretty fast. Is there an ideal shutter speed for shooting dirt bikes? Also, does the red-tailed hawk bother anyone else? You can't exactly tell what it is when the photo is reduced to this size.

Second image:

No, I didn't try to do what this driver was doing (very well, I might add). I did go up a really steep hill and scraped the back bumper on a dip that was too steep/deep for my stock Wrangler (angle was ok for approach but not for departure). Had a great time and want to go back, though I'm not sure if I want to take more pictures or if I want to explore more of the trails myself!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:24 PM   #2

Very nice shots. Panning takes practice - I started on propeller planes and experimented with shutter speeds to get the motion blur of the props but am stiil learning with BIF.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:55 PM   #3

Good ones.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:56 PM   #4

I noticed the red spot and it can be distracting but you should be able to easily remove it in PS.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:28 PM   #5

Tullio, I'll clone out the hawk in the final version, couldn't decide last night if it needed to go or not. Thanks, Walter for the compliment. paniolo - I tried a couple of panning ones but the shutter speed was off - the background blur wasn't enough to look like anything other than camera shake and it was still fast to blur the spokes. The dirt bike wasn't a panning shot - just a quick snap when I heard the bike. The Wrangler wasn't particularly moving at this point - the maneuver they were doing was one of those slow things that a vehicle with 4 wheels shouldn't be able to do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote