Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Glass - Trophies

Friday I thought I had posted these two pictures, but I guess I didn't actually submit them. So I'll try again.

Since part of the challenge allowed shooting through glass, I decided to spend Friday lunch wandering around a museum, where everything is behind glass. There's tons of spot lighting, the floors, walls and ceiling are all very dark so there's horrible reflections. I've tried to shoot before with little success, so this time I used a circular polarizer to see if it would help. My conclusion was that it was marginally useful, depending on the angles involved. However, it wasn't worth it enough to give up the extra light it blocks.

They qualify both as shooting through glass and as a glass object themselves:

The first one has a glass back, and that seems to be where I got most of the reflections. The second one had a photo/pattern for a background. Thought that worked out reasonably well.

I also took a picture of another trophy that wasn't glass, but was shot through glass. The background wasn't the greatest because it was in front of a hallway and was glass on both sides, but I didn't have to resort to odd angles as much to avoid light reflections. You can see it at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v44/p880770888-5.jpg if you are interested.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links