Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:42 PM   #11

While checking for updates to some of my Nik plugins, I opened the HDR version in Color Efex. The default conversion is a contrasty, somewhat dark b&w version - I was shocked to see how much I liked it. So I played around with the shot in Silver Efex and Topaz Lab's b&w Effects and came up with this version. I think it take cares of many of the problems I was having with the HDR version. I'd love to know what others think.

mtngal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:28 PM   #12

I really like it. Great job w/ the B&W conversion!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:15 AM   #13

Works for me.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:01 PM   #14

Hi mtngal

Thanks for your reply post, and explaining. And then for your further post-processing, etc.

I generally don't like B&W photos much (I just love COLOUR subtle or bright, mixed or similar hues so much....)

Yours does 'work' for me in most aspects though, it's contrasty and powerful as a B&W landscape. However I think you're right, it's a bit dark. I miss seeing enough texture in the midground pine-trees now....

Still... a powerful composition. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:33 PM   #15

IMO, B&W can be very powerful and it is not for every situation. I also have a preference for colors but I dislike when images are overly saturated to the point where the colors are unrealistic. The thing about B&W photography is that every time I see an image I think..."I wonder how this picture would look like in color". I never think the other way around, though.

Tullio
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:00 PM   #16

Paul - I think in color, and like Tullio I never look at a scene and wonder what it would look like in b&w. However, I really like b&w and find it often makes for really interesting pictures. Whenever I see someone post a good series of b&w pictures I vow that I'll try converting just about everything. I'll play around with one or two, find that it isn't as easy as the other person made it look and give up. I just thought this one was quite striking. I guess I should lighten up just the trees a bit more, leaving the sky, mountains and meadow alone. I really like how they came out.
mtngal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:28 AM   #17

To me B&W is all about contrast and true blacks, whites and grays. I guess I've been influenced by Ansel Adams too much. I see lots of B&W conversions that look bluish/grayish, which does not do it for me.

Tullio