Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:42 PM   #1

Default Weather - colours and not

Hello friends

Here are two recent photos, showing to me some effects of weather (the sunlight) on the colours contained in a landscape (the ocean, sky and land features).

Photo number 1, shows the strong colours brought out by the afternoon sun when it is mainly behind me (the photographer). Both contrast and saturation are strong, with mainly unfiltered clear sunlight streaming down on this scene, and lighting it up.

Camera: Canon 7D @ ISO100, f/7.1
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm EX @ 10mm
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:44 PM   #2

Default #2

Photo 2 - is very different - with me now facing the direction of the sun, and the reflection of the sun on the water creating a silhouette effect on the image. Colours are almost non-existent, with the white lighthouse appearing as a black monument against the bright sea which is reflecting the sun.

Camera: Canon 7D @ ISO100, f/9
Lens: Canon 15-85mm USM IS @ 85mm

I look forward to your comments and feedback! Happy viewing

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3

The first one doesnt do much for me except to set up the second image, which is striking, especially with the bird in the top right.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsch1 View Post
The first one doesnt do much for me except to set up the second image, which is striking, especially with the bird in the top right.
Hi Vanessa

Thanks for your comments... and it is good to hear your thoughts - that the 1st one doesn't do much for you. I guess I can understand that - as it's not such a 'spectacular' weather photo.

Because I was there and took the photo, it probably stimulates memories of the glorious weather in a different manner to a third party observer.

I'm glad that you find the 2nd image more striking... and yes, I was very glad (not planned!) that the bird flew into the image at the right time!

Regards

Paul
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:35 PM   #5

Paul I've not long returned from a trip home to Adelaide and can fully understand the strong sunlight conditions you were shooting in. It's the strength of the sunlight that causes the slight feeling of being "off" in the first pic. The sky and foreground rocks are strong and detailed (beautiful actually) but the mid ground where your eyes end up has an almost washed out look. It's the reflected glare does it I always think. I found this to be quite an interesting experiment.

Cheers

Bernice
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:50 AM   #6

Hi Bernice

Many thanks for your valued words... I can see you have thought about the photo in detail, so your feedback is particularly appreciated.

I didn't initially see (in the photo, eg when I composed it) the same as you described - but yes, I can see what you're getting at.

As you said - the harsh / strong sunlight probably contributes to the middle of the photo being 'washed out' (it is an ultrawide composition) - and probably also because that hill / dry land was rather 'dull / washed out' compared to the deep blue sky and more 'colourful' foreground rocks / area!

Thanks again! I hope you enjoyed your time in Adelaide.

Paul
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:11 AM   #7

The second image is the real keeper. I like the effect in general. The main thing that is unique about it to my eye is the apparent shape of the lighthouse. I just can't quite figure it out -- is this some kind of perspective distortion, or is the lighthouse oddly shaped?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:11 AM   #8

Hi tclune!

The lighthouse IS oddly shaped, actually!

It is wider at the top than the bottom.

Here's another perspective ("just for you")

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:26 AM   #9

Cool.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote