Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:18 AM   #2

Spectacular color.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:07 AM   #3

The color is stunning. Very impressive.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Love CD pictures and the reflected colors on them - such variety is possible. I really like this, the colors are awesome!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks MtnGal. This is a different way to shoot. Lights are out and just with a small flashlight you move it around the disc. F18 and shutter speed around 8 to 10 seconds. Moving the light moves the prismatic color so in the final shot it looks a lot wider than it would be if you hadnt moved the light source.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:36 PM   #6

This might be a dumb question (not having tried what you did) but if you move the light around the disk, how do you keep the drop shadows in one direction? I'm going to have to try this, it is just so cool! I've only done one set of CD pictures, but nothing like this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:50 PM   #7

Not a dumb question and I dont have a dumb answer. Every time I tried it the results were different because you are building up the light on the sensor instead of just quickly capturing what is there. I dont know why the shadows are on one side. I know sometimes I didnt go all around the disc but just waved the flashlight sideways from the same spot. I used live view to see how the flashlight was lighting up the area and when it looked good I took the picture and kept waving. I like this because you never know exactly what you have until after you have it.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:10 AM   #8

Gorgeous colors.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:20 AM   #9

Wow, Bynx... another splendid photo from you.

As well as the very interesting 'circles' / water drops (spheres) with shadows, I really like the deep rich colours, and the gradual transition of the background

And... as per usual, your execution and post processing of the photo is technically of high quality. PLUS (again, 'as usual') - you've so generously shared your technique and thoughts. I have a lot of respect for that. Cheers, mate.

I agree, that is must be interesting that every outcome is different due to the angle of light and way you waved / moved the flash-light around, and you only truly know until after you've taken the photo.

How small were those water drops (ok, how long is a piece of string?!) I mean 'really teeny tiny small water spray droplets?) -does your camera have 'super macro', or are they average 'water tap' (faucet?) sized water drops?

Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:46 AM   #10

Hi PJ. Its been a while. But to answer your question the water came from a Windex spray bottle so those drops are really small. I used a 28-300mm lens with a reverse ring attached so it zoomed right in and made those little wee spray drops as large as they look.