Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:36 AM   #11

what a great shot
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Well, Paul, I guess we should be asking if you are OK after 25 stings. I got stung on a finger tip about 20 years ago and it hurt like h---!!

Cal
Well I might have exaggerated 25 stings. My right hand has 5 stings on it. My left hand has 2 stings. I have a sting on each eye brow and a couple on my back. When the whole swarm was on me I could feel a lot of sharp jabs like someone was pricking me with a pin. The only problem this morning is my swollen right hand and my left eye lid is a bit swollen. I still have to deal with the small BBQ full of wasps and my kids dont feel comfortable going out on the balcony. Im a little apprehensive myself, in case they decide collectively to come back after me.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:03 PM   #13

Which program did you use to stack them? It came out beautifully, and I agree about reversing rings. I have a really cheap one with male ends on both sides, so I can mount a lens reversed in front of another (gives you an additional extension tube type of effect, sort-of). I want another one with slightly different threads - I got mine for two particular lenses and now want to do the same thing with others, and they have different thread diameters.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:30 PM   #14

I used Helicon Focus. I cant imagine stacking lenses.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:20 PM   #15

Jeez, that sound terrible. But this great shot makes is almost worth while (I said almost). Did you accidentally disturb a nest? Take care, that sounds painful.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:14 PM   #16

A small BBQ on my balcony became home to the wasps. I just lifted the lid with a broom. It really pissed them off and they swarmed me. I thought I had enough clothes on but obviously not.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:53 PM   #17

Bynx, you are always the adventurer!!

Ouch... those wasp stings can be nasty painful. You are very brave / 'aka photo-dedicated' to do what you've done.

Fantastic image, it looks 'furry' at that closeness... well done for good exposure and colour.

As I suffer anaphylactic reactions to wasp stings (ie I can die as a result), I would definitely not do what you've done. I carry an epipen with me at all times now, as an outcome of a rather severe reaction I had over 10 years ago.

So thanks for letting me look at this 'beasty' aka 'sucker' safely, via the example you froze and captured so well. Cheers.. and I hope you won't get a reaction to wasp stings later in life.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:41 PM   #18

Thanks Paul but I am later in life. hahahaha
Funny thing is my father got stung once when he was in his 60s. It got him on the jugler vein and he went into shock and died. His heart stopped, his breathing stopped. I did mouth to mouth on him until he came around and threw up. Yuch. I just spit it out, cleared his mouth and continued until the medics showed up. He lived another 25 years.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:50 AM   #19

Wow! is all I can say Bynx!
Stunning image and a hell of a price to pay for it.

Helicon Focus is a remarkable program which I've recently started toying with.
Your image shows just how stunning the results can be when properly applied.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:24 AM   #20

Thanks Zig. Id like to see what you come up with. Oh, one thing I forgot. My camera is mounted on a Manfrotto focusing rail. Its not the best one out there and Id look for another. Its great for moving in tiny increments, but every time I turn the knob the image moves sideways different amounts as it moves closer to the subject.

Last edited by Bynx; Aug 17, 2012 at 6:26 AM.