Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Good info penolta, and your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks.
I dont know how the number of stings determines whether it is a wasp or hornet. I was literally swarmed by the colony as they left the BBQ in force and attacked me. Tonite at 10 I will be going at the nest with some spray I got. I hope thats the end of that. I just hope that any more stings arent going to be more effective after the number Im still getting over.
I only suggested Hornets because they are both aggressive and have large colonies, but so do Yellowjackets, and if they nest in the ground, that is what they might be.

I suggest you have some Benadryl on hand to counter any histamine reactions should you get stung again - that many insect stings at one time can sensitize you and you could have an allergic reaction to additional stings (I speak from personal experience). Raid Bee and Wasp spray is effective almost immediately, and the can sprays over a long distance (maybe up to 25 feet) so you can keep your distance. Use rubber gloves so you don't get any on your hands (and stand up wind so it doesn't blow back on you).

Good luck.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:41 PM   #32

These wasps are in a small BBQ sitting on my balcony. Its 10:40 pm and Im supposed to go outside now and kill the lot of them. I think I might wait until tomorrow nite. hahahaha
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:07 AM   #33

Unbelievable! Simply stunning (and a little scary) detail.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:40 PM   #34

Bynx, It's nice to see your exceptional attention to detail again. I have been away too long. Glad to hear that you aren't suffering too much from the attack. I got swarmed one time playing softball. I do not want to go through that every again. Those little Bast@&ds really hurt.

Excellent work, as usual.

Steve
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:56 PM   #35

Nice to hear from you smac. How about coming up here soon. We can sit down and have a beer or two. Then when you are feeling pretty good I can give you the Wasp Spray and while you are spraying the nest I can photograph the whole thing.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Nice to hear from you smac. How about coming up here soon. We can sit down and have a beer or two. Then when you are feeling pretty good I can give you the Wasp Spray and while you are spraying the nest I can photograph the whole thing.

Hehehe, We have a very similar sense of humor. Thanks for the invite..... I think.