Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:02 PM   #1
daz

Default Player's Choice - Real?

This sound like an interesting challenge calr but I am not entirely sure what you mean. The confusion it mostly on my part. Let me explain. I shoot only in RAW. This means that every photo I display is somehow PP and every decision is somehow artistic. This is a bit of a PITA but it does give one a lot of artistic control of the output. So before I go off and spend a lot of time taking new photos and PP them I would like to see if I am on the right path.

I have come up with 4 broad categories; Real?, Art?, B&W and other.

As the rule is only 3 post a day I will do other tomorrow.

Real?

These photos are somewhat “real” looking but have more PP then I usually do in someway or other. I usually don't make this kind of distinction because to me all photos are not real.

The first photo looks kind of real but most would realize that there was some kind of PP but most think it is the sky. The sky is mostly as I saw it and I did not do much PP to it. Off to the right the dock is something different. This looked very dark in the photo so I cut it out and PP just this part to make it lighter with out effecting the sky or water. I then put it back in the photo. This makes use of the exposure range that the camera has and makes it look more like you would see if you were there.

The next photo you would think is what you might see if you were looking but this is not the case. The sun is to bright and the hillside would look bright. I exposed for the sun so that you can see the camera in the sun but in PP worked to make the hillside dark and bring out the sky.

The third photo most see the sky as being PP but I exposed for the sky. This makes the foreground hill very dark so in PP I lighten it to more like what you would see if you were there.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2012, 4:50 PM   #2

Very nicely done. I especially like the signs in the third shot. Can you provide a little background regarding the trash and the bottom sign?

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:05 PM   #3
daz

This is from Hurricane Issac. This is the side of a levy. On the other side is a ferry dock across the Mississippi river. The garbage you see is what got washed up against the levy. No levy failed nor was topped here. The person is complaining that a levy should have been built to protect this side of the levy from the ocean side. The Gulf of Mexico is many miles away and to build a levy to protect this side would cost multiple 10s of billions dollars. This exceeds by a large amount the total value of everything that would be inside this new levy. Even then it would not stop all flooding. The only was to do that is to raise the ground level here by over 30 feet. This would of course cost more then the total worth of all of Louisiana and totally destroy the environment. The next closes option (other then the smart move of just don't build here) is to put everything up on 30 foot stilts like the companies that do have to work here do to make money. This is not the first time this has flooded and the last time was Katrina. This will flood about 5-10 times in a persons life time. Flooding of this kind is as bad and in some was worse then fire. I really feel for what these people have lost but the sense of entitlement and the blaming of others for something the is essentially a locally/individually created problem can get hard to take.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote