Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Player's Choice - Composite etc.

I'm not sure this really meets your criteria, since when i think of "creative" processing, I think of either adding something like a graphic or an oil paint or other special effect. But this is actually a composite of two pictures, and I spent quite a bit of time on it to get it like this. It was taken not long after I got CS6, so I was also practicing some of the new features it has (in some things it was new to me as I was coming from CS4). But does "artistic" always mean not photographic or not realistic? Don't think I buy that.

What caught my eye was the golden hour light on the clock. I quickly took a picture, then looked at what was also on the bookcase - some papers, a magazine and a paperback book. I cleared the bookcase, but the light had changed and the clock wasn't half as good. In addition, I cut off the top of the clock in the later picture, so the background didn't go up as high as the clock in it.

What to do? I took the cleared bookcase and the background shade from the second photograph, used content-aware fill to add some more shade to make sure it covered up to the top of the clock on the first one. Then I took the clock and the cannon from the earlier one (the photos weren't taken from the same place exactly so the cannon didn't quite match up exactly) and came up with this. It took me a couple of tries to get the content aware fill to work right (had to use the clone tool to clone out the clock I didn't want, so the program wouldn't try to copy the clock when it added the extra shade) but it was still faster than trying to clone in more shade. Blending the two layers around the cannon was interesting since the two didn't line up exactly, had to be careful to not paint in something wrong from the layer below. The cannon was in shadow more than I wanted, so I lightened it, to bring it out more.

So does this count? It's had a lot of processing to make it the way I wanted it to be, but I think I did it in such a way you wouldn't know that it had been processed at all. It is an artistic rendering in the fact it doesn't reflect the actual situation, but you would never know it by looking at the picture. In any case, it was a very interesting exercise in using content aware fill as well as some slightly different ways of doing composites/combining pictures than I had done before.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:24 AM   #2

I really like this.....I like that your processing is not obvious to the viewer...very skillful.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:48 AM   #3

A very skillful use of the tools available in CS6.

Well done.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:30 AM   #4

Very well done. You tackled a difficult situation and handled it beautifully.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5

Nice work
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:56 AM   #6

Thanks, all! I very much like CS6, coming from CS4. Not sure there's enough new in CS6 from 5 that would have made it worth upgrading, but I'm really delighted with it's new-to-me features. It makes me want to try some fantasy type of composite, but I don't have an idea to try it out on. Maybe one day I'll come up with something.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:22 PM   #7

Really well done! I would not have guessed this was a composite if you didn't tell us!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:49 PM   #8

Excellent job mtngal. Im really impressed with the skill you used on this.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:47 PM   #9

Thanks, Saly.

Bynx - Thank you very much - though I don't come close to your ability with Photoshop. I've been really impressed with CS6 and the whole content-aware fill/move/brush thing, I wouldn't have tried this composite otherwise. It doesn't always work right, but when it does work, it works well.