Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Player's Choice - Composite/IR

This probably is a better example of special effects. This is another composite - the part on the right was taken with an R72 filter, so the camera picked up some of the reflected infrared light off of the trees (why they are light). The part on the left was taken without the filter. I took both pictures as separate layers in photoshop, then put a layer mask on the top and used the gradient tool to create the transition between the two pictures. Gives you an idea of what sort of effect you can get with the R72 filter and a camera with a weak anti-IR filter in front of the sensor.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:35 AM   #2

Very interesting. I like IR images although I don't do it very much. This shot, although it illustrates well the IR/BW conversion technique, is not one I would hang on my wall.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:49 AM   #3

No, it wasn't designed to be pretty as such, only to show the differences between IR and regular light. The scene is rather pretty when you see it completely in color - it's not the best one to choose for IR. I'm still trying to figure out what works well in IR - things I don't expect work great while things I would think would be neat do not.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:53 PM   #4

I like it mtngal! I think it would also look interesting if the split was vertically down the middle.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:58 PM   #5

I agree with Saly. Unfortunately, the diagonal treatment implies other than a deliberate attempt to demonstarte the differences.
Just my observation
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:06 PM   #6

Always interesting to see what others think. I originally edited it with the split down the middle, but one of the things I wanted to show was how much sharper the far ridge was in the IR version, vs. the full color version (haze/moisture doesn't really affect IR much) and so wanted to have them visible in both versions. I didn't want most of the picture to be IR, so I chose the diagonal transition, rather than a vertical one. I probably should have left it with the transition cutting through the tree that's more or less in the middle - while some of what I was trying to show would get lost, it was probably a better picture/composite.