Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
daz

Default Player's Choice - Other.

These photos are like the other photos heavily PP but not necessarily in the way you might think.

The first is a photo of a large wall mural. Painters use perspective to show depth and only a little bluing of very distant objects. Photographers also use the lie of DOF to show depth. DOF is a flaw in the photographic systems we like to use and is just the destruction of information. This destruction of this information can be in the lens as this is were the flaw is in the photographic systems but the destruction can by anywhere. As this is a photo of a flat painting I did the destruction in PP. This kind of combines both art forms.

The second is a B&W but I first PP the photo until the colors were almost surreal. Then I PP to B&W maximizing contrast.

The last is a B&W conversion to something like a Platinum print look. A real Platinum print would look much better but this is to show you can take a photo and PP it to look like some other film look from the past.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:59 AM   #2

The first one is interesting - what did you use for blurring?

I'd never thought of using color to come up with increased contrast in b&w, another interesting idea. I'll have to keep that in mind.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:32 PM   #3
daz

There are tools out there to add DOF but most are a little to simple as I think you end up with a photo that just has a fussy frame. For me it was a multi step process. What I used was just a blur tool set to as big as I could make it and about 50% Hardness,density and opacity. I then looked at the photo and determent my point of focus (what the cameras imaginary focal point) and the depth plane that what be in focus. I then when to the “back” of the photo and with the tool set to vary blurry I made the “back” out of focus. I then set the tool to much less and moved closer the the “front” and the focal point. I did this 2-3 time getting less out of focus (with the in “front” less out of focus) until I had my DOF. All in all this only took about 5 minutes. Undo helps a lot for when you over do it. On the bigger photo the effect is more real looking.

As for the B&W if you change the colors then use your digital colors conservation filters you can do some interesting things. This goes back to early B&W moves when to make the actors look correctly (the early movie film had vary low contrast) they use to where very gaudy color makeup (like green) to improve the contrast. They looked terrible in person or in regular B&W still photos but good in the movie.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:02 PM   #4

Love the second one with the deep dark clouds above and the fog rising from the unseen valley below. Adding in the perspective of the tracks it gives alot for the viewer to look at. I can almost hear the creepy music.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:03 PM   #5

Wow, that first shot is surrealistic.
Lovely effort.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:59 PM   #6
daz

Thanks selvin for the positive comments. I have been a little preoccupied as I lost a data hard drive on Friday on my main system and just now got and installed a new drive.

Not all back yet but getting there.

DAZ