Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:50 PM   #11

Neat picture!

Thanks, Cal, for the explanation about the reflection and focus distance. I wondered about that, I recently tried to photograph a reflection in a puddle along with some stuff on the surface/just above the surface of the water. I couldn't manage to get both in focus at the same time, so resorted to stacking two different frames. Now I know why.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Neat picture!

Thanks, Cal, for the explanation about the reflection and focus distance. I wondered about that, I recently tried to photograph a reflection in a puddle along with some stuff on the surface/just above the surface of the water. I couldn't manage to get both in focus at the same time, so resorted to stacking two different frames. Now I know why.
Depending on what was reflected in the puddle and how far away, you probably need to stop down the aperture (high f-stop) and use a corresponding slow shutter. Unfortunately, this usually means a tripod or some other solid surface/object to steady the camera.

Quadna, this applies to your shot, also. If you want both the reflection and the mirror frame to be sharp, the advise to Mtngal is the same for youl

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:55 AM   #13

I would just say that, to my eye, the blurred frame works very well in this particular photo. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:33 AM   #14

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I hadn't seen this latest bi-weekly at the time, but once I was on the website I knew that shot sort of fit the requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Depending on what was reflected in the puddle and how far away, you probably need to stop down the aperture (high f-stop) and use a corresponding slow shutter. Unfortunately, this usually means a tripod or some other solid surface/object to steady the camera.

Quadna, this applies to your shot, also. If you want both the reflection and the mirror frame to be sharp, the advise to Mtngal is the same for youl

Cal
Thanks Cal. The bokeh was my intent so I used a faster prime opened up to f/1.4 and handheld when I was walking around for the follow-up shots. For all the stock room shots I used my 17-40, f/8.0, and full frame on a tripod to get the best clarity with no blur.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote