Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Panorama - Yosemite

This was taken 2 years ago and I had forgotten that I had done a panorama. I found it when I put the second pano in the album I have for Yosemite and Bass Lake. This is probably one of the most famous scenes in Yosemite, a location that is full of awesome scenery.

I was up there last weekend and the weather/lighting conditions weren't half as good. I didn't try to shoot a panorama from this point this time. But I did shoot a 2-frame pano of sunrise on Bass Lake. I shot a different one with more frames, but ran into far too many problems trying to get the exposures to match (didn't pay close enough attention when I was shooting it). It doesn't come close to matching the quality/conditions of the one above, but it was a pleasant spot to sit and watch the sun peak over the mountains, admire the Canada Geese, ducks, coots and other birds enjoying themselves in the early morning.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2

Very Nice! I have one of Yosemite Valley that is 48 photos stitched. It is hanging in the front room. I really like both of these.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:06 AM   #3

The first one is stunning. the layers of mountains and that waterfall just adds a whole new dimension.
I could easily fall asleep in the second one it is so tranquil.
Great submissions.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the compliments! The first one is my best panorama, in fact I put it among the top 20 (maybe even the top 10) of all of my photos. It looks richer full sized, the compression doesn't quite do it justice, I think. The interesting thing is that I've stood at that very spot several times, and never had the lighting conditions like this before. The clouds muted the sunshine so the falls and that cliff weren't in relatively deep shadow, like they were this past weekend.

I love spending sunrise at Bass Lake, trying to capture the early morning birds. I think the pano I posted gives you a good idea of the place - not a spectacularly beautiful lake or anything, but serene and enjoyable.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:45 AM   #5

Beautiful. You have really captured all the main attributes of the valley, and you can physically see the total depth of the picture which is helped by the cloud cover.

I'm due to visit Yosemite again later this year during my planned tour of the Sierras. It is one of the best places in the world for scenery shots.
Nikon_2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:11 AM   #6

A 2 frame photo is a panorama in my books. I love it.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:50 PM   #7

Bob, you are right, even though it's "only" two frames, it is stitched. I find I often run into trouble when I get much more than 5 or 6 frames, unless they are shot vertically. I now don't remember how many frames the Yosemite picture is, just how amazed I was that it wasn't hazy, and that there weren't significant shadows on the falls and it's rock wall (there was this past weekend, it was much sunnier).
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:20 PM   #8

Truly an amazing landscape, to be there in person must be breath taking!! Definitely hang the first one in a prominent location in the family home, well done.