Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:23 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
blkms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 382
Default Red and black

Black Swan,
original image replaced with an unprocessed version.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by blkms; Jul 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:48 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
wave01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North West England
Posts: 1,748
Default

very nice shot
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Moderator
 
calr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 8,466
Default

Nice shot of the black swan. I do note, however, that the red in the beak is oversaturated. What kind of camera was used and did you do any post processing.

Cal
__________________

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
blkms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
very nice shot
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Nice shot of the black swan. I do note, however, that the red in the beak is oversaturated. What kind of camera was used and did you do any post processing.

Cal
Thank you
Camera is Sony NEX 5, I only had the 30mm macro lens with me that day.
Processed in PaintShop Pro X5, played with saturation, levels and vibrancy as I wanted to emphasise the red in keeping with the theme.
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:56 AM   #5
Moderator
 
calr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 8,466
Default

I think you should read the challenge description again. The idea was to try to determine if all digital cameras have the red saturation problem or just the older ones. Since you have done PP to tweak the red, it is impossible to determine if the problem exists in your camera. This is one case where PP should not have been done.

Cal
__________________

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
blkms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
I think you should read the challenge description again. The idea was to try to determine if all digital cameras have the red saturation problem or just the older ones. Since you have done PP to tweak the red, it is impossible to determine if the problem exists in your camera. This is one case where PP should not have been done.

Cal
Fair enough, image now replaced with unprocessed version.

Last edited by blkms; Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Moderator
 
calr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 8,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkms View Post
Fair enough, image now replaced with unprocessed version.
The replacement image, in my opinion, looks better. The red looks more natural and is not oversaturated at all.

I love black swans. The only places I have seen them is in Australia and at a Buddhist Temple on Oahu in Hawaii.

Cal
__________________

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
blkms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
The replacement image, in my opinion, looks better. The red looks more natural and is not oversaturated at all.

I love black swans. The only places I have seen them is in Australia and at a Buddhist Temple on Oahu in Hawaii.

Cal
Thanks, yes I share your view on the replacement.
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:03 AM   #9
Moderator
 
selvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,204
Default

The texture in the edges of the red beak holds up quite well. Great job
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:49 AM.