Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
Thanks, now all I can think about is snow and more snow and maybe a blizzard.

Quote:
I gave of white-on-white in
Now all you need is a polar bear, Peter!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:04 PM   #12

or a white rabbit and a caterpillar with a hookha

Quote:
Now all you need is a polar bear, Peter!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
i'm not sure if this counts as "white on white" but it does include something white on top of something white ...
Very nice Vito!

I'm sitting here thinking of something like a white tablecloth or something like that!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:56 AM   #14

I'm the one who came up with the notion, so you'd think I'd have already posted a photo, but here I sit pondering, "White on white? What do I own that's white? And if I find things around the house that are white, how will I arrange them? Light them?."

I guess I succeeded in the point of all this: I got myself thinking, and it looks like I got you all thinking, too.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:28 AM   #15

Snow immediately came to mind for me. Vito however, has clearly shown greater creativity with his photo, so much so that it appears he's scared off the competition. I'm keeping my eyes open for interesting white objects but I'm betting Vito's holds up to any impending competition. Great photo Vito !!!
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:55 AM   #16

Quote:
holds up to any impending competition.
I'm sure you didn't intend this, but it's exactly what we don't want here. There is no competition, no contest, no best of show. It's a challenge, all right, but it's a challenge only that each individual gives himself. (Yeah, I know, "himself" is politically incorrect, but I'm from the old school, and besides, I'm a woman.) It's a challenge to deal with a photographic situation, to learn from dealing with it, and to study the solutions of others.

Though Vito's solution also happened to be beautifully composed, this doesn't mean all of you now have to be just as creative.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 8:40 AM   #17

My bad then. I thought it was a competition. Either way, it's still a great idea and one that will be sure to evoke some otherwise dormant creative processes. I'll keep my vote to myself.
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:20 AM   #18

Did I ever hit problems with this, having decided to challenge the devil out of myself. Smooth white matte board for backdrop, fluffy white polyester fiber fill for the base, glossy white ceramic turtle, and white pearls with that soft glow they tend to have. One thing I quickly discovered was that I had to increase exposure compensation by at least two steps. I played with depth of field, doing identical shots using f-2.2 and f-11, finally liking the shallow DOF better because, it turns out, white-on-white fades away into softness very nicely. Who knew? Anyway, introducing turtle heaven:

Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:10 PM   #19

Since you camera tries to meter as if it were pointed at 18% grey, it would have tried to darken the scene. You're needing exposure comp makes sense.

I don't know why, but I kinda want a bit more detail (shadows) in the polyester fiber. I don't know if it would have helped the picture at all, but it seems to lack a bit of form for my tastes.

I like adding the perls. The reflective nature adds a nice contrast.

Eric

ps. And nice title.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:30 PM   #20

I see what you mean about the texture. I'll have to check the other 24 photos I took ( ) to look for that texture. You're right. It probably would enhance the photo since there sure isn't a heck of a lot of color in it nor even much contrast. Kind of like mashed banana.