Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:30 PM   #21

oooh! that polyester fiber looks like the turtle and pearls are sitting in clouds..........i like how it fades to white(lol well more solid white) a little but away from the turtle......gj

btw can i post another one if i find one? (lol a big IF)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:10 PM   #22

Quote:
btw can i post another one if i find one?
It's a tentative "yes" to multiple posts. For now, it's probably just fine, but if this forum takes off as many of us hope it will, we're going to end up with a single thread that could take forever to load because of all the photos.

Anyone have an idea of how we could divide up a week's challenge into smaller threads so they don't burden people with slow modems? Maybe a thread could be limited to six or seven photos and, once that limit is reached, I could start a second or third or whatever thread. I'm musing out loud here, and what comes to mind is the date, then Part One, Part Two, etc. What say you?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:22 PM   #23

Putting all your eggs in one basket

Canon DRebel, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di lens, ISO 100, f/16, 1 second using natural lighting from the window. The original was shot in RAW and processed using Capture One software (no adjustments to exposure, white balance was set manually). In Photoshop CS, I tweaked the curves slightly, cropped, converted to sRGB, resized, and saved as a jpg.

My personal nits: linen cloth would have been better had it been straightened, perhaps a contrasting color would have added to the picture, but I was trying to keep a totally white on white on white subject.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:25 PM   #24

Barbara, while the details are lost in the fiber, it does add a look of surrealism...as someone said "floating on a cloud". The luster highlights in the pearls seem a bit hot. Overall, I like the image: the composition is strong and the subject thought provoking.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:44 PM   #25

To my eye, Carl, you handled the problems inherent in white-on-white with finesse. Yes, you probably should have gotten out the iron and pressed the cloth, but then again, would you have gotten quite the strength of shadow in the lower left and toward the upper right? Those shadows further delineate the bowl.

Breaking my own rule here about sticking to the subject of the challenge, it might have been compositionally nice to have an egg or two resting outside the bowl. Or did you eat them before they hit the cloth?

As for the high luster of the pearls in my own photo, I can see what you're talking about but I can't think of a solution. The light falling on them is from a window 14 feet across the room, and beyond that window is a porch cutting off some of the light, and to top it off, it's one very dingy day here in the Northeast. Is there a trick to dealing with such reflections?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:46 PM   #26

nice job henry! i like it....the only thing i don't like about the linen not being straight is that it might be a bit distracting....buuut it is also something that might get you looking at the picture a bit more........i don't know (maybe i'm looking at it more because of my tendency of looking at things thinking of how i could make it in photoshop lol)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:07 PM   #27

A few eggs on the outside of the bowl certainly would have added some impact! Good constructive criticism regarding composition.

Regarding the luster on the pearls....perhaps a translucent reflector between the light source and the pearls. I don't have any tricks up my sleeve for this. I'm sure we have someone here that does, though! Someone has done some work with reflectors and posted results...don't recall who it was at the moment though.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
Putting all your eggs in one basket
Did you make an omelette afterwards?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:35 PM   #29

Default answer to the challange

Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:08 PM   #30

Default Lighting and another egg

Barb, eliminate the natural light , it overpowers, use two light sources to fully illuminate the scene filtered through cotton towels or napkins. That way you'll have full light but it will be softer. Have move the lighting if you desire shadows but in this case I think full light would add to the feel.
Carl, couldn't you find just one brown egg? If you had eggs out of the bowel it would detract from the severe order that it now has!
Of course I was kidding about the brown egg!
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote