Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:57 AM   #51

Thanks everybody! This was a fun exercise. At least it was fun checking out everyone elses creative works. My own project turned out to be pretty frustrating. First, being a man and living alone without a woman's touch in keeping house, or at least making me do a better job at keeping house, I had a hard time finding something white that hadn't turned into something off white. ops: My other problem is that since I work the night shift and I'm a night owl. I was trying to take the pictures with no natural light, and my cameras white balance settings just wasn't getting the job done without getting colors other than white or just overexposing the heck out of it. Vito, I would be more than happy to send you those marshmellows except after I finally got sort of a picture worth posting. I chunked the works in the trash. :evil: Don't panic, I was able to restrain myself from chunking the camera along with it. Barbara, I sure am glad this wasn't a competition. I would have been the first one to fall through the trap door. I think everyone, excluding myself did a great job. Barbara, I liked you're turtle heaven, even if it was technically flawed somehow. I never would have guessed it. Kinda dreamy lookin'. Peter, your so called "cheat" was very clever, and turned out great. Vito, I don't think I'm alone here, white on white project or not, your photograph is totally awesome. Great work everyone!
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:41 PM   #52

Decided that since nature had decided to provide us with 80cm. of white material I’d take a leisurely wade thru the snowdrifts to capture some of nature’s mischief.
My humble contribution ……

BTW the rock is actually a 40 inch high boulder, only a small portion is exposed.

deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:49 PM   #53

wow.....nice picture! lol i like the "wade" reference! lol!
gj
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:51 PM   #54

nicely done eexley
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:52 PM   #55

Ohenry, you really had my hopes up about that Canon camera, until I took my shoes and socks off and figured it up. I'll be dead! Will that Canon be able to overcome that limitation? :?
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:54 PM   #56

Poor rock, the snow is taking back the land.

Nothing worse than walking out in the yard, breaking through the crust and ending up waist deep in the cold muck. I guess it could be mud.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:01 PM   #57

Deexley, your rock...well, it just rocks! All the whirls and swirls of snow are well defined and create paths for the eye to meander over and around the rock.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 2:36 PM   #58

I just put it on auto! I am very new to my mom's camera (powershot G1 or G2 even though it isn't very new), I have my own CoolPix2100 but I just don't get as nice of images out of that. My CoolPix is more of a "FunCam" to bring out jsut for snapshots of friends riding and stuff. It runs out of batteries really fast, and it isn't as fast... hmmm lol well anyways.. yea I will try and work on some stuff but maybe I will get a white horse in the snow if I see any.. but it has been so war lately (a whole 30 degrees!!!) That the snow mght be a little scarce since yesterdays blistering heat (38!) melted a lot of snow!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:09 AM   #59

Default Emergency equipment/Textures in Warm White

f2.8
shutter:1/4
60 watt bulb in reflector

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:28 AM   #60

You were obviously more than up to this challenge. Using only texture and shadow, you managed to define each object in full detail. On top of that, you used only soft items, not relying on smooth & hard vs. rough & soft for your definition. The lesson I take from this photo is that the quality and placement of light is crucial, particularly when working with monochrome.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote