Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:49 PM   #1

Default Red Car

I almost wish this topic hadn't come up - I've suddenly started noticing the over-saturation with reds, that I wasn't really aware of. My small compact camera seems to suffer from it - and I see it more with the RAW file than with the jpg (I've been shooting raw+). The camera's processing for jpg (natural setting) seems to tone down the reds a bit so they don't look as vivid.

Here's three that were taken from the RAW files. I tried to lower the red saturation in one of the files, the other two have had nothing done with the saturation. They have been processed - I ran them through deNoise since they were a bit noisy.

Don't know if I should be surprised that there was still quite a bit of detail in the last one - you can tell it rained recently.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:32 AM   #2

Terrible, terrible...dirt on the paint job...tsk.
Seriously tho I have noticed a too vibrant in bright reds or bright pinks with my Kodak z990.
However my Sony H50 does them perfectly. I went to two different car shows and took pics with either camera and I was greatly disappointed with the Kodaks pics.
The other thing I note is on the Kodak you have to Choose a normal kodachrome color or it is stuck in Nostalgic color. There is also ektachrome for more vibrant colors. Of all the color types they pick they pick Nostalgia???? makes it look 60's instamatic...not good.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:42 PM   #3

These are great! No wonder red cars attract more police attention!
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:58 PM   #4

Thank you both. The funny thing is that I went to the top of a parking structure to find red cars. I could find burgundy, but no really red cars. Then I stood at the top of the structure looking down on a much larger parking lot. I could only spot about 3 or 4 truly red cars. As I walked back to my office, I spotted a really red Wrangler - a car that deserves to be painted in bright, fun colors. Made me feel better. Corvettes are another car that deserves to be painted in bright, fun colors, like this one is.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:53 AM   #5

Never really liked red cars. But to punish me Car Rental agencies seem to always try and give me one. Last rental a few days ago was a bright red mini-van, go figure.

I've also noted the wide variation in the ability of various cameras to handle reds properly. I suspect it might have something to do with the sensor but the proprietary software that processes your images also probably contributes quite a bit.

You must have done something right, even the dust specks are visible.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:52 PM   #6

For some cameras there's another element to the saturation situation, and that's the lens. I have taken pictures with an old, uncoated lens that has a poor reputation. Mine is very sharp, but low contrast and low saturation. It's excellent for taking pictures of bright flowers, where it captures lots of details, while a modern lens, on the same camera, will oversaturate them. I once took some comparison shots, but they weren't anything special so I can't find them now. I kept forgetting to dig out that old lens all week, maybe I'll find something red this weekend and do comparisons with my compact camera.