Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:10 AM   #2

Another view
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:46 AM   #3

Walter, I am bothered by these two photos. The reflection aspect is great but something about these shots makes them look like water-color paintings to me. I am wondering if your HDR processing didn't work exactly as advertised. Unfortunately, I can't pin down what it is that bothers me. Perhaps it is the bright colors of the boats and kayaks against the relatively flat colors of the background. I know it is all real but something about it looks artificial to me.

My optometrist tells me that I have cataracts. Maybe that is affecting my view of the scene.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:23 PM   #4

I love the bright colors Walter. All HDR photography has a subtle unnatural look to me. That doesn't mean I dislike them. Quite the opposite, I find them interesting and exciting to look at. Well done and a great subject.

Cheers, Steve
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:52 PM   #5

Nice bright colors, gives a post card sort of look to it all.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:54 PM   #6

Thanks, Steve and Calicajun, for "getting it".

- Walter
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:49 AM   #7

It's interesting how people react to pictures like this. I am not so bothered by the bright colors of the boats as I am the dark grey of the clouds and the sky. I think I would have been tempted to use layers and make them a lighter grey or almost white or something to try to get the sky more realistic, then let the bright colors of the boats and the reflections remain as they are. I like them even though it isn't "realistic" perhaps. There's nothing to say that photos posted here for fun or pleasure are to be completely real to the actual location, like photo journalism should be. So I like the lower part of the picture and wouldn't change it, just the sky as I find it overcooked to my taste.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
I love the bright colors Walter. All HDR photography has a subtle unnatural look to me. That doesn't mean I dislike them. Quite the opposite, I find them interesting and exciting to look at. Well done and a great subject.

Cheers, Steve
Im sure what you mean to say is all BAD HDR looks unnatural. If its done right a true HDR is simply a very good photo of the scene without blown highlights and plugged in shadows, nothing more. Cartoon colors, dirty clouds and overall grungy look are the result of operator choice or inexperience and not the aspects of a true HDR image.
In the case of Walters two images they have no HIGHLIGHT SMOOTHING which removes a lot of that dirty cloud look. I think MtnGal "gets it".

Last edited by Bynx; Sep 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Im sure what you mean to say is all BAD HDR looks unnatural. If its done right a true HDR is simply a very good photo of the scene without blown highlights and plugged in shadows, nothing more. Cartoon colors, dirty clouds and overall grungy look are the result of operator choice or inexperience and not the aspects of a true HDR image.
In the case of Walters two images they have no HIGHLIGHT SMOOTHING which removes a lot of that dirty cloud look. I think MtnGal "gets it".
Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say. I shouldn't have used the word "all".
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Having processed (and posted) a number of bracketed HDR shots I am well aware of the methods used to create a more "natural" look. That was not my aim in the case of these two creations. I wanted a more stark, even cartoonish result, and used Topaz Adjust to achieve what I was looking for. And, I thought they would fit the challenge of "Reflections". Thanks, anyway, for the attempted lesson.