Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Favorite Photos 2013

I wasn't going to participate in any of these favorite photos of 2013 threads because this year has been my least productive year. But I thought about it some and went back and looked at an album I had put together of some photo ramblings. The biggest thing that struck me was how I had not made the effort to take pictures when I had the opportunity - and I had lots of opportunities! Also, that I have a lot of unprocessed photos from when I did bother to take them but didn't bother to finish/process them.

That realization led to me think that perhaps I should make a resolution in 2014 to get as involved in photography as I once was, to re-capture that joy I've always had in both shooting and processing (and enjoying) pictures.

So here are 3 that I thought worked out all right. I might do another thread later on - there's one picture not included here that I took in January that I really liked, but don't know if there's another one or two to go with it.

Early start to the fire season (taken in May about 8 miles from where I live):

I tried to take pictures of lightning in July. I've only attempted this once before (I don't get much opportunity) and that was only half-heartedly. I don't now remember how many shots I took, but this was the only one that had any lightning showing at all, and this one was blocked by other clouds. I thought it worked very nicely, even if you can't see the jagged line of the bolt itself.

I thought this was one of my better surfing shots, taken in September. When I was growing up I really wanted to learn how to surf. But we lived too far from the ocean, my parents weren't beach type people and board were expensive. So I've never learned to surf and I really don't know anything about the ins and outs of the sport. But I enjoy watching surfers and taking their pictures, even though I don't know much about it and take the "spray and pray" approach. I have managed to get a few good pictures, though usually when shooting from a jetty. This is the first one I thought was reasonable that I've taken from the beach.

So that's a bit of my 2013 year.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:35 PM   #2

I'm pleased you went back and took a look at your images from 2013. These are wonderful and unique in their own right.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:47 PM   #3

I like the slurry drop, good exposure against the billowing smoke. Reminds me of the days, long ago, when I fought forest fires.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4

Thank you both for the compliments!

philby - if you once fought forest fires you have my admiration and appreciation. While this fire never threatened my subdivision, others have. I'm grateful to all those who are firemen, hotshots etc. because their fearless dedication saves lives and property all around me, every year.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:20 AM   #5

Those are some great images! Glad you went back and looked. I'm in the same boat, but as I scroll through my 2103 I'm finding things I had forgotten about that I'll post later

Last edited by bobbert; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:00 PM   #6

Thanks, Bob. What I find even more interesting is that the shots are all action of some sort. Most of my photography is macro, landscape and travel, maybe I just need to step out of my comfort zone more. Looking forward to your favorites.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:15 AM   #7

nice set like them all
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:24 AM   #8

All good pictures. Storm clouds with lightening backlighting is dramatic
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:29 PM   #9

Fantastic photos!
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:22 PM   #10

Thank you all! Bob, I was initially disappointed in the lightning picture, until I saw it on the monitor. It was underexposed so I had to adjust the lighter parts of it in post, but was very happy with it once I made the change. I'm hoping that I'll be able to try again sometime, as I really had a tough time getting the exposure right (leaving the shutter open ling enough to hopefully catch some bolts but not so long as to make the sky look like it was daylight).