Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:12 PM   #1

Default Favourite Photos 2013

Sorry for the Canadian spelling of Favourite . . . I couldn't resist. <grin>

Looks like a fun topic.

2013 was a busy year for taking pictures for my wife and I. It actually started back in late 2012 when my wife and I had the opportunity to volunteer our time and become the official photographers for my daughters' gymnastic club. We took on the roll / challenge to try to get lots of pictures of the girls for the year book that is handed out to each girl at the year end banquet. It was a lot of work, but absolutely a pleasure and honour to try to give something back.

And . . . my wife and I actually shot a wedding. Friends of ours asked us if we would shoot their wedding. The first thing I told them was that I had never shot a wedding before and that it could go completely wrong, but they really did insist and wanted us to try it out. So I was nerves most of the beginning of the year until their wedding day. But I'm glad to say that through lots of preparation and planning on my wife's part, we pulled through and the bride and groom were extremely happy with the photos we got for them.

#1 - Chris and Sandra.
Pict #1 is my favourite shot from the wedding.

#2 - The Senior Team - Composite Action shot of entire team doing Vault
Pict #2 is a composite shot I did of the senior gymnasts from the gymnastics club we shoot for. I don't actually have this image posted anywhere myself. My wife and I just give the pictures to the club for their use. But the gymnastics club currently has this picture as the cover photo in Facebook . . . so I can link to it here . . .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

#3 - Emma following the path
Pict #3 is a shot I got of my youngest as she played around on the abandoned tracks at one of our local parks called Mill Pond. It was light showers so I decided to take my old Nikon D100 so I wouldn't be too worried about it getting wet. And the sun was playing a nice game of hide-and-seek. When it came out, it really did light everything up.

For 2014 I really want to explore people and portrait shooting.

That and get back to learning more about flash and lighting in general.

I also got a bunch of goofy ideas I want to try to play around with too.

Anyway . . .

Thanks for reading! / Thanks for looking!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jan 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:49 AM   #2

That second shot is marvelous!
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:00 PM   #3

#3 is outstanding, the lighting is awesome! And your composite worked out very well, a nice bit of editing as well as being some good photography.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:29 PM   #4

I'm sure the bride and groom are enjoying their photos if they are as good as the one you shared with us. I like your composition so that we can see a lot of the water underneath them.

The composite is fabulous. I'm sure the coaches, parents and girls are so appreciative of the effort. A real keeper for them all, one they will treasure for a long time.

Terrific lighting and wonderful capture of free spirited Emma.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! 'Greatly appreciated!

As for the gymnastics picts . . . when my wife and I show up at the gym with a black backpack, some of the girls run over and ask us if we're taking pictures. LOL. I get the impression that they appreciate someone taking the time with them . . .

The way I figure it . . . they put so much time into gymnastics, its nice to be able to take these candid behind the scenes shots and make them available to the girls for their digital scrap book.

I'm one of the few parents that have both a dSLR and fast lenses . . . might as well put them to some use. LOL.

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote