Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:51 AM   #1

Default Dipped in White

Well a white rose isn't actually white.

Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:30 AM   #2

You're right, a white rose isn't really white, but I think most of us have discovered while trying to meet this challenge that there are many different kinds of white, and your photo probably shows this better than any others. You were very creative, and also, you got tremendous detail right down to the tiniest veins in the petals. You sure met this challenge better than I did. I lost most of the detail in my own photo.

Good job!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:06 AM   #3

You make me shy with your kind words.
I should confess that I just entered a photo academy and this was 2' homework assignement. This week we had to make photos showing our skill of proper use of grey card when shooting complete white or black scenes. I got a good score on my homework. Alas the only thing that counted was the differences in stops between camera metering of the subject and greycard...I had to publish here for artistic feedback.

For this shot I used a macro ring & camera on tripod
4sec. shutter
f16 apperture
iso 200
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:59 AM   #4

There's nothing like taking actual classes in photography. You can improve so quickly that way, and best of all, you're surrounded by people who are interested in the same thing you are. Work hard and do well.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:07 PM   #5

oooh......did you actually "dip" it in something? or just pour a couple drops of.....wat looks like milk? gj! i like how you can see the veins..... btw....how did you use the grey card? did you meter for the grey card and then shoot with those settings? well i think it could use a couple stops up IMO just cuz it seems a tad dark.....but i like it if you got any brighter it would've faded out the veins in the petals........
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:19 PM   #6

I'm sure Mathilde will let us know for sure, but it's either milk or Elmer's glue, and I'll bet it's milk since it would be a shame to drop glue on a rose.

I don't think it needed more exposure; it's the green tinge that's making you think this. I have a plug-in for Photoshop called Color Mechanic with which the green could be turned into a creamy white. The plug-in doesn't alter detail, so the veins would remain clearly visible. (Wonderful plug-in, by the way.)
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:33 PM   #7

maybe it is the fact of the rose is dying......too bad you didn't have a fully living rose
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:26 PM   #8

I was trying to decide between milk and glue myself. It is a nice picture.

side note: the signature on the side. is that simply added with the text tool in PS? I noticed Ohenry had similar on his "eggs" shot. I think that it in itself adds a touch of elegance and can almost singlehandely elevate a snapshot to the level of art (taking nothing away from this photo).
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKchopper
I was trying to decide between milk and glue myself. It is a nice picture.

side note: the signature on the side. is that simply added with the text tool in PS? I noticed Ohenry had similar on his "eggs" shot. I think that it in itself adds a touch of elegance and can almost singlehandely elevate a snapshot to the level of art (taking nothing away from this photo).
There are a couple of ways to do it in Photoshop. Mine is set up as a brush that I can resize and color to what I need then just click where I want it, but you could do it directly as a text layer.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Mine is set up as a brush
What an elegant solution. I'm going to have to try it.