Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:11 PM   #1

Default Circles of Love

The symbol of our love - a circle with no beginning and no end.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:29 PM   #2

I like it. Well done. Can you get 'em back on?
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:41 PM   #3

Masterfully done!
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:29 PM   #4

Walter - mine goes on very well, in some ways it fits a little better than it did when I got it almost 34 years ago. I no longer worry that it will fall off when I'm sleeping and get lost in the sheets. The only times Dan took his off was when the medical people took it off (the first time when a mare pushed him against a stall wall and he broke a couple of bones in his hand, the second and last time was by ICU a year ago).

Selvin, thank you very much for the compliment! The picture is a composite of 10 frames put together in Zerene Stacker - I didn't have a big enough dof in one frame (plus I only recently bought Zerene and was happy to have an excuse to play with it some). I was especially glad it worked out - my light source was mainly a smallish LED light that I was hand-holding and trying to bounce off of the gold side of a reflector I had propped up. I wasn't consistent where the light was between the frames but it really worked out better than if I had a consistent light source - there's more definition in the reflection.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:50 AM   #5

nicely done and i like the stacking
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks! I've been happy with Zerene, and they've come out with a beta version that works with Lightroom, so you don't have to export from LR to another file if you shoot raw (or use jpg from the camera). I love having that feature! And it works so much better than what CS6 can do - it almost always makes mistakes. Though I will say that I've been shooting the stacks using a macro focus rail and moving the camera just a bit between frames - while I end up with more frames than are strictly necessary to have everything in focus, it does make it easier and the program seems to like it better.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:26 PM   #7

Beautiful picture. It may be reflections where the rings cross, but they appear to be gold soldered. However, from your description, I would have to say that's not the case.

Cal

calr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:29 PM   #8

I had noticed the same thing - I think it had to do with the lighting or how Zerene did the stacking since I didn't have a consistent light source location. I just looked at Dan's ring and there's no obvious mark on it. I probably should photograph the ring with the macro lens again, just to see. It's amazing how many things it will pick up that I don't notice when I'm looking at something. But the ring appears to be without that mark when looked at with the naked eye. We got the rings at either the American PX or the Canadian Exchange in Germany (don't remember where now, it could have been either), so anything is possible, I guess.