Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Cold - Shoveling Snow

This is a shot I took spring 2012. Somehow I thought it looked a little odd - you don't expect to see someone shoveling snow wearing boots and shorts!

Another shot, this one from 2011, looking across the street from the first one. I've always liked this picture and thought it was one of my better "cold" shots.

And here's a shot from 2010 - The car stayed where it was for a couple of weeks (due to the owners not being enthusiastic about shoveling the driveway, and also owning a Jeep).

I would love to go outside the house (where all these were taken) and take snow pictures. But except for an inch or so that we had in the fall, the ground has been bare and the temperatures in the 50-60F range this winter. Keep your fingers crossed though - there's supposed to be a 20% chance of snow showers Friday (hope, hope). Couldn't all of you who are so tired of the horrible storms in the east please send us a bit of your weather? Not all of it, just some of it. We need the rain and snow very badly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:58 PM   #2

Hopefully this won't remain scenes from the past. We desperately need the moisture.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:58 PM   #3

February and March are usually wet/snowy months for us, but it's not really looking that good yet, is it? It is going to be a very long fire season this year, even if we do get some moisture soon. And I think the wildflowers are going to be skimpy, regardless. But the big problem for all of us mountain dwellers is going to be drinking water - already one community up here has dry wells and is trucking in water, who knows how long the ground water for the rest of them will last. One of the bigger natural ponds is completely dry, it dried up last year for the first time in my visiting it (14 years). At this rate there will be a lot of people in SoCal who will be at risk, more than usual.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:07 AM   #4

That is a lotta snow!! Shorts!! Hardy souls you have out there!
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:52 PM   #5

I really like your second shot. You have captured the snow movement nicely.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:47 PM   #6

Bob - We occasionally get a big dump of heavy, wet snow - the picture of the Honda Fit isn't all that unusual. But I do hope, like Walter indicated, that it isn't a reflection of the past.

Thanks, Bynx. The first and last ones were mostly a reflection of my sense of humor, the middle one is my favorite snow photo.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:50 AM   #7

The only way I would want to be in that outdoor cold is if I were skiing and knew there was a cabin the lots of hot chocolate waiting for me.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
The only way I would want to be in that outdoor cold is if I were skiing and knew there was a cabin the lots of hot chocolate waiting for me.
I hope you picked up on the use of "front yard" and "across the street" - I don't seem to be getting out as much as I used to when it gets like this. And I had the ability to escape into the house for a cup of hot coffee right after taking these pictures. I didn't go snowshoeing at all last winter and there hasn't been any snow to travel on this winter (not much even on Mt. Pinos). Hopefully there will be some snow to either ski or snowshoe on soon, to get me out of the house once in a while.