Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:42 PM   #1

Default Water - Dancing Water

There's all sorts of dancing water in Yellowstone National Park. Taken at the Fountain Paint Pot area - one of the thermal areas not far off the road.

And another, more famous dancing water geyser, Old Faithful.

Both taken on the same outstanding vacation in 2008. How I'd love to go back and spend another week exploring the national park - it is one of my all-time favorite places.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:06 PM   #2

Wow! Fabulous shots, mtngal. I would love to visit there someday.
garlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:23 PM   #3

It is truly an amazing place, I hope some day you get a chance to spend some time there. The shot of old faithful is nothing spectacular, but it is Yellowstone's most famous sight, so I didn't think a thread on it would be complete without a photo of it. It's hard to come away from the park without a huge number of wonderful pictures.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:45 PM   #4

Very familiar sites to me. I lived in Idaho Falls, Idaho for 17 years. Yellowstone is only about an hour's drive from Idaho Falls. The interesting thing about Yellowstone is there is so much to see. Sadly, some of the more spectacular scenery is less than a mile off the main roads and 90% of visitors pass it by not even knowing it is there.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:14 AM   #5

i like these well done
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Very familiar sites to me. I lived in Idaho Falls, Idaho for 17 years. Yellowstone is only about an hour's drive from Idaho Falls. The interesting thing about Yellowstone is there is so much to see. Sadly, some of the more spectacular scenery is less than a mile off the main roads and 90% of visitors pass it by not even knowing it is there.

Cal
Can't decide if I'm envious of your 17 years in Idaho Falls or not. I know someone who lived for 20 years in Wilson, just the other side of the Teton Pass from Idaho Falls. While they lived in an awesome spot, had incredible scenery, etc. they got very tired of 9 months of winter every year (and have since moved to warmer climes). The other interesting thing is about the only time they visited Yellowstone was when relatives visited them from out of town. Otherwise, they pretty much stayed around Jackson (and Idaho Falls since there was a Sam's Club there).

I know what you mean about some spectacular scenery not getting visited much. We spent a week in West Yellowstone and spent each day at a different spot in the National Park. We didn't really hike, but we saw quite a few of the easily accessible places and walked the boardwalks around them. I want to go back again sometime - a week really isn't enough to do more than scratch the surface.

The picture of Old Faithful is interesting in that there were no crowds - it was taken very early in the morning, we drove up just as it was erupting. There were only a few other people around at that time, very pleasant. We spent the morning walking around the geyser basin there, went up and around Morning Glory Pool (what I really wanted to see more than anything at that spot) and arrived back around lunchtime. While we were by no means the only people wandering the paths of that geyser basin, it wasn't very crowded compared to the mob around Old Faithful (which was about to go off again).
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:54 AM   #7

People not knowing what's close to them is a familiar story even here in Hawaii. Even on the same island some people are unaware of what's in their own backyard.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:48 PM   #8

Nice shots, enjoyed viewing.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Triggers nice memories of my two visits there. Well done.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:56 PM   #10

Very nice shots. Old Faithful is such a classic.