Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:36 AM   #1

Default Breaking things

I took this picture probably close to 2 years ago. I think it has horrible composition but i still like it!

Veritable Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:47 AM   #2

Its composition isn't anywhere near as bad as you seem to think it is. Also, if you take a second look at it, you might notice a certain "thirdishness" about it!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:23 AM   #3

well in those links you posted......it was talking (or typing lol) about how you should put the horizon on the thirds line.....and that was (for the most part) done here.......i really like this shot! (reminds me of New Jersey in the summer) actually the composition is pretty good lol.....the shape of the birds might be throwing you off.....but nice shot
i don't really think it breaks the rule though
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
well in those links you posted......it was talking (or typing lol) about how you should put the horizon on the thirds line.....and that was (for the most part) done here.......i really like this shot! (reminds me of New Jersey in the summer) actually the composition is pretty good lol.....the shape of the birds might be throwing you off.....but nice shot
i don't really think it breaks the rule though

I'm glad it reminds you of new jersey because I think I took it in sea isle
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:00 AM   #5

lol!.....(actually where is that?) i don't have a map around....north south central? west lol

i like how it is black and white too
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
lol!.....(actually where is that?) i don't have a map around....north south central? west lol

i like how it is black and white too
I can't even remember, i think it is south/central
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:20 PM   #7

south of brick? north of cape may? (pretty wide region there lol)
Old Feb 26, 2004, 3:27 PM   #8

I think it holds the 1/3 2/3 very well and the lines created by the water have a nice curve to them and the breaking wave is strong and angular in relation to the horizon on the right giving it a nice finish off of the side.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:56 PM   #9

Default Nice image

I like the image. Perhaps, I would crop off some of the sky and let the surf line fall near a golden third. I did this by moving the image up on the screen by scrolling down - the flight of birds becomes the central theme. That's just me.

The diagonal line through the flight is great composition and the reflections of the birds is, well - WOW.

The image is good and very reflective of life's flight over the changing sands, set against the eternal sea.

Well done, well done.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:29 PM   #10

I spend alot of time at the lake in the summer, and your photo is extremely emotive to me. The only "technical" thing that I would suggest is missing is some object in the foreground that would help to define the 3 dimensional perspective. However, for the sake of "breaking" the rule of thirds, perhaps this is a good entry in that it's center of focus is almost painfully in the immediate center of the picture plane. I also comply with bruckdorfer on the shadows...they just seem to leap out at me immediately. Also, something about your choice of monochrome is appealing to me. This photo doesn't need color. In fact, color might be too "real" for it.

I love it immensely, and it evokes in me some good memories.

Thanks for sharing it.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote