Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 26, 2004, 3:35 PM   #11

Quote:
couldn’t find what I was looking for…if that makes any sense
It does make sense and, as a matter of fact, it answers my question about why I couldn't find a good crop for it. It's because I wasn't sure where the focal point was.

Rod, please don't feel anyone is coming down on you. We aren't. We're all trying to learn from our own and from everyone else's photos, and in doing this, we tend to...what's a good word for it?...deconstruct things.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 4:34 PM   #12

i'd say that the lamp is the focal point.....i like this picture.....just the lighting is a bit "extreme".....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:28 PM   #13

[quote="bcoultry"]
Quote:
Rod, please don't feel anyone is coming down on you. We aren't.
Exactly... a picture which sparks discussion in this forum is a good picture.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:37 PM   #14

Default "Rules and Comments"

Barbara:

This group is friendly and the comments are constructive and helpful - thank you.

I agree the image does not have a central focal point, perhaps it is the mutted tones set against the deep blacks and stark whites that is the focal point. Regardless, likes and dislikes are related to individual likes and dislikes - it is life. All the "rules" are broken.

I took the image because of the light and the dark setting of the pub. I just liked the moodiness of the scene. When I photograph, I never really think about the rule of golden thirds, diagonal lines, focal points, I am mostly drawn to the light and how it "plays" on objects. There is no question, the image lacks detail in the whites and in the blacks. If there were texture and detail in the whites and blacks, the image, perhaps, would be better but it is what it is - spur of the moment.

Why I like the image, I do not know, perhaps it is because I look at the overall image and start to wonder about it.

Thanks for all the comments.

Rod

P.S. First look at the image, not around the objects in the image but just at the image, then draw diagonal lines from corner to corner. The eye sees all the detail of the image but the viewer is draw through the walk-through into the center of the image. Perhaps that is the focal point.
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:57 PM   #15

Rod...

I think that you like it because you see the potential in it as a painting, the dynamic relationship between the geometric squarish and rectangular shapes competing with the driving force of the triangular light; as well, the value range from light to grey to absolute dark, provides a great contrast. As well, the lines of the wood create a sense of direction for the focus of the point of the light shade, it's all moving, yet not moving...somewhat like a canon ready to fire, yet not firing.

I'm very impressed by this work and consider it to be dynamic indeed, especially in monochrome where one can appreciate the line and light value only, without interruption by color.

Cool stuff
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 9:07 PM   #16

Default Thanks

Norm:

Thank you for the kind words, they are appreciated. You write well.

I looked at your website. Shooting fast action sports is a tough assignment. You captured the moment of kids having fun. I admire and respect you for giving your time and energy to the kids.

I also looked at the none sports gallery and very much liked Early Light and Dreaming.

Again thank,

Rod
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:25 PM   #17

Rod...

If nothing else, it's the kids stuff that draws me. These kids love checking out the next game photo. They don't walk to it, they "run" to it, and that's my reward, period. Glad you see that, thanks for the response.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 9:35 PM   #18

Another excellent composition, Rod.

Yes, sometimes you just point and shoot...otherwise, the photographic moment is gone forever.

Especially nice touch is the weathered divider(?) which
gives evidence this is a downhome place, not upscale.

Well done!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 2:52 PM   #19

I agree with other posters here that the image's strength comes from the overlapping rectangles of various tones and textures, and that monochrome helps that. So I don't have much to add, other than that besides your photographer's intuition for a good image, your attraction to the photo could additionally be reinforced by its connection to an enjoyable outing with your wife!
toners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:54 PM   #20

Default Your Photographs are Outstanding

Toners:

I looked at your gallery. Now I know, I am a grasshopper perched on a lilly pad in the unknown void.

Your work is outstanding - absolutely outstanding, I am humbled.

As to "Too light, too dark" Lenora and I have a beautiful relationship and perhaps that may contribute to why I like the image but I think I like the image because it leaves a question.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful website as yours.

Rod