Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1

Default Too Dark and Too Light

I captured the image on a Sunday while enjoying a light lunch with my lovely wife at Sean Donlon Irish Pub in Annapolis, MD. We had finished lunch and were enjoying talking. I looked over a spotted the light streaming through the window. I took several shots varying the exposure with a B&W image in mind. The image showed all the artifacts of digital senors in high contrast siturations - fringing. My response to fringing is "so what, let's move forward."

The image was processed in Photoshop - desaturate, adjustment curves layer, duplicate layer with decreased levels mask, gaussian blur filter applied, then set mode to multiply. After I flattened the image, I applied unsharp mask to the image.

Does it break any composition or black and white guideline. I suspect so. The important point is, I like the image and believe it has mood and many stories - some of love, friendship, loneliness and philosophical thought - the byproduct of grain fermentation.

Enjoy,

Rod

Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:26 PM   #2

Default sorry no image

I am confused How do I post and image :?:
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:29 PM   #3

i like it too.....and i finally see wat "fringing" is lol.....that is a very tough situation though.....i'm not sure how to fix it other than maybe set up lights on the darker areas and stop down a couple stops.....that might work (unless you want the dark areas to be that dark.....) and since this was a restaurant i doubt you be able to set up lights like that lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:35 PM   #4

you had a space after the [img] There should be no spaces after [img] or before [/img]
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:35 PM   #5

I sat here with a couple pieces of paper, looking for how I might crop this, pretty sure it needs cropping, but I can't seem to decide. It's one of those photos that I think really needs to adhere somewhat to that rule of thirds, mostly because of the strong contrast between light and dark and also because of the strong geometry of it.

Someone with a better eye than mine, please step in here.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:38 PM   #6

can you use the dodge(or burn) tool to fix the darkness and lightess?
i guess it wouldn't look very good if you lowered the contrast......
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:43 PM   #7

Default finally, it helps to read directions - no spaces

The camera was handheld, ISO 400 - take the picture when the moment is there. :lol:

Can I center the image?

Thanks,

Rod
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:54 PM   #8

Default Thanks

Barbara:

Sometimes I believe there are many images within a photograph as there are stories. The lighting was what it was, high contrast and burned out whites - breaking the "rules."

I think I shoot like that, spur of the moment imagery. There was no planning, just "wow" look at the light and go for it. Sometimes it works and sometimes ...................

Ohenry, thanks for your help. I finally had the image working and posted the image, not knowing you had already done it.

I like constructive comments and very much like this forum. I do not have much time, so I will come and go as time permits.

Again Thanks to all,

Rod
Old Feb 26, 2004, 1:17 PM   #9

Rod, I believe that a burned-out white exists only when it shouldn't be white-white. So, to my eye, you haven't any burned out areas in your photo at all.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 3:23 PM   #10

Rectangles, rectangles, rectangles; seems like about a million of em in there. Iím not sure what rule would improve it. I think this is just one of those that are what they are.

My first impression is that it definitely holds oneís interest and intrigue because of the detail and contrast but leaves a bit of an empty feeling when Iím done looking at it, because I couldnít find what I was looking forÖif that makes any sense.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote