Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Personal transport: Enough Escalators?

Name:  MBK-Escalators1-650.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  60.7 KB
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:46 AM   #2

Nice shot!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Nice composition. However, the depth of field could use some work. This is a very difficult shot to get all in focus due to the varied distances from the lens and the motion of the escalator. If you have another opportunity, you might try playing with shutter and aperture settings. I think you will have problems. If you close down the aperture you are going to get slow shutter speeds. This will improve DOF but blur the motion of the escalators. Conversely, if you opt for a fast shutter, you will have to open up the aperture resulting in very poor DOF. I think the only solution is to talk to the store manager and see if they will stop the escalators for 5-10 minutes while you get your shot...LOL! Maybe if you agree to spend a couple hundred dollars....
Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr View Post
Nice composition.
Thanks.

Quote:
However, the depth of field could use some work. This is a very difficult shot to get all in focus due to the varied distances from the lens and the motion of the escalator.
I expect this shot is doable with the right sensor, glass and focus distance. A m43 sensor at ISO 1600 meant detail killing noise. A collapsible kit lens designed with higher prioity for size than IQ and shot at f6.9 (sweet spot is f8) meant low IQ to start with. Shot at 1/100 because the ones at slower shutter speeds were blurred. Would have helped if I knew the optimal focus distance for the aperture, or at least had focused somewhere beyond the man in the foreground.

I will have another opportunity. Stores on one floor of this mall in combination present the best breadth and depth of photographic equipment Thailand.

Quote:
I think the only solution is to talk to the store manager and see if they will stop the escalators for 5-10 minutes while you get your shot...LOL! Maybe if you agree to spend a couple hundred dollars....
Cal
Maybe I could convince a stylish & popular celebrity couple to claim they first saw each other while on these passing escalators. Then pass myself off to the mall manager as a photographer specializing in celebrities. I want to recreate and photograph the moment. It will be big news, great promotion for the mall, etc ... and I'd bring lights.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:45 AM   #5

Can somebody do me a favor and confirm what I'm seeing with the combination of 59.817 year old eyes and 3 year old laptop monitor?

The SOOC (straight out of camera) jpg has better IQ than the posted final version. Makes sense because of my IQ reducing attempts to convert digital noise into something where the aesthetics of the final image were noticed before its IQ

I shot raw, first processed in raw, exported as tiff for lossy final processing of the posted image. For the 100% crops of the SOOC jpg below, I used a raw converter to extract, without additional processing, the jpg contained within the raw. It was then cropped and saved at 99% jpg quality.

Name:  x-2014-05-17-00048SOOC-100p-FGman.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  157.6 KB

Name:  x-2014-05-17-00048SOOC-100p-reel.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  134.7 KB

Name:  x-2014-05-17-00048SOOC-100p-Jewelry.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  91.2 KB

Original jpg at https://app.box.com/s/8lb0qdo8nvqhkff4lejy

I see the woman with smartphone having the lowest IQ, while the foreground man and the escalator with the movie film reel sticker have the same IQ.

IF
that is confirmed, I don't understand how it's possible because she's closer than the movie reel crop - unless the IQ of her crop is a combination of having a darker exposure and being near the frame edge made with an unspectacular lens.

Does this help?:
$ exiftool -ExposureTime -FNumber -ExposureBiasValue -ISO -LensModel -FocalLength -FocusDistance -Model *.ORF
Exposure Time : 1/100
F Number : 6.3
ISO : 1600
Lens Model : OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Focal Length : 28.0 mm
Focus Distance : 3.02 m
Camera Model Name : E-M10

Last edited by ItDontMeanAThing; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:51 AM.