Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 27, 2004, 8:52 PM   #1

Default Lines Everywhere

I started photographing in 1978 when we lived on the Gulf Coast of Texas and worked developing my skills until 1981, when a transfer and the need to develop a career in chemistry took on new meaning. Why B&W? Cost was a factor but I remember my brother's work, a professional artist, when he experimented with B&W photographer while in college. I believe the images of his work had a deep influence on me.

The photograph was taken on Kodak Pan F film with a Canon FTb body and a FD 50 mm f:1.4 lens. During does simple days, I spent a great deal of time photographing around the Old River in Freeport, Texas where the shrimp boats docked. I took the photograph because of the lines, tonal range and texture in the scene. Does it following any guidelines, I suspect not but I have always found the image interesting, as have others.

Enjoy,

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2004, 9:23 PM   #2

Hi Rod, your picture seem to be MIA.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3

i REAALLY like this picture!! good eye! i like all the ropes
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:42 AM   #4

I also like this picture. The lines leading in from the top and the basic line (horizon) of the looped ropes including cable pully bar (in the upper 3rd). IMHO this doesn't break the rule of thirds. It's a very nice picture and really like the choice of black and white. I think it would loose a lot with color.

Suzan (yep a z)
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5

you know wat.....i think the bottom left roll of rope seems to jump out at me.....and that is in the rule of thirds.....but it is tough to tell with that kind of picture...a lot going on.....
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:43 AM   #6

It doesn't seem to break the rule to my eye either. I love b&w, and your photo is a perfect example of one of my reasons. Your aim was to capture the lines, and color would have been a bad element, a distracting one.

You may have failed to break the rule, but you sure gave us a great photo to look at!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:06 PM   #7

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It is one of my favorite images. I printed it on Agfa paper and it hangs in our house. The image has been a favorite of our guests and is probably one of my better efforts.

I must find it difficult to break the "rules" when I never consciously follow the "rules" - no detention hall for me

Again Thanks,

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:02 PM   #8

Quote:
no detention hall for me
Well, Rod, I don't know about that. The challenge was to break the rule, not stick to it. So far, all of us are in detention hall except for one, and I'm not yet sure but that he might belong here with all the rest of us.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:22 PM   #9

I like the picture. I got roped into it!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 2:31 PM   #10

lol i still haven't had any ideas of pictures i can take to break it........well i have some that i took....but they are terrible pictures....(my great blue herons that aren't that good....and aren't flying...)